Embattled PPP chairman Suryadharma defies suspension
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Religious Affairs Minister Suryadharma Ali said on Sunday he was still United Development Party (PPP) chairman, saying a decision to suspend him taken during the party's national leaders meeting (Rapimnas) on Saturday evening was illegitimate.
'A Rapimnas cannot be used to dismiss a party chairman,' Suryadharma said on Sunday as quoted by tempo.co.
He was speaking on the sidelines of his meeting with a PPP senior leader, KH Maimun Zubair, in Sarang, Rembang, Central Java. Gerindra Party chief patron Prabowo Subianto was also present at the meeting.
The Rapimnas also reaffirmed the decision made by a party executive leaders meeting on Friday to cancel a PPP-Gerindra coalition declared by Suryadharma that same day.
Suryadharma said the Rapimnas, called for by a number of senior PPP officials, was a misstep.
'If they wanted to topple a chairman, they could do it only in one forum, namely an extraordinary national congress [Muktamar]," he said.
Suryadharma went on to say that as he was still the party chairman, he would continue to shape PPP policy. 'The coalition [with the Gerindra Party to support Prabowo's presidential bid] will continue,' he said. Prabowo decline to comment. (idb/ebf)
You might also like :
- 19 Jambi pilgrims die of 'natural causes' during haj
- Soekarno–Hatta International Airport Skytrain is officially launched
- EDITORIAL: Death of free speech
- The Pirate Bay mined cryptocurrency by ‘borrowing’ visitors’ CPU
- Fishermen, including from Indonesia, 'kept like slaves' in Taiwan
- Parent sends open letter to Jokowi, seeking justice for son’s death
- Mount Agung activity on the rise: Agency
- Slum dwellers’ homes in Surakarta to be upgraded
- Suu Kyi says Myanmar ready to take back Rohingya refugees
- Banyuwangi to hold International Tour de Banyuwangi Ijen cycling competition