Embattled PPP chairman Suryadharma defies suspension
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Religious Affairs Minister Suryadharma Ali said on Sunday he was still United Development Party (PPP) chairman, saying a decision to suspend him taken during the party's national leaders meeting (Rapimnas) on Saturday evening was illegitimate.
'A Rapimnas cannot be used to dismiss a party chairman,' Suryadharma said on Sunday as quoted by tempo.co.
He was speaking on the sidelines of his meeting with a PPP senior leader, KH Maimun Zubair, in Sarang, Rembang, Central Java. Gerindra Party chief patron Prabowo Subianto was also present at the meeting.
The Rapimnas also reaffirmed the decision made by a party executive leaders meeting on Friday to cancel a PPP-Gerindra coalition declared by Suryadharma that same day.
Suryadharma said the Rapimnas, called for by a number of senior PPP officials, was a misstep.
'If they wanted to topple a chairman, they could do it only in one forum, namely an extraordinary national congress [Muktamar]," he said.
Suryadharma went on to say that as he was still the party chairman, he would continue to shape PPP policy. 'The coalition [with the Gerindra Party to support Prabowo's presidential bid] will continue,' he said. Prabowo decline to comment. (idb/ebf)
You might also like :
- Farmers use organic farming to reduce dependence on imported pesticides, fertilizers
- Indonesia to regulate domestic coal price to curb electricity costs
- Agnez Mo’s ‘Vogue US’ magazine is out
- Indonesia to hand over 2m ha of forest land to locals: Minister
- Organic farmers use natural seedling 'pots for higher yields
- Jakarta to receive two MRT trains in March
- Government to set new coal price formula next week
- Alleged motorbike thief shot dead by police
- Online prostitution ring busted in Bekasi
- Porsche Centre Jakarta: The best place to take care of your luxury cars