PDI-P sets out requisites for Jokowi's running mate
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) deputy secretary-general Ahmad Basarah says any vice presidential candidate must meet two main requirements before he or she can be the running mate of the party's presidential candidate Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo.
'First, the vice presidential candidate must be able to [help] ascertain the victory of the candidate pair,' he said in a discussion in Jakarta on Sunday as quoted by Antara news agency.
Second, Ahmad said, Jokowi's running mate would be a figure who was able to ensure good governance and effective institutions if the pair was successful in the coming presidential election.
'Such effectiveness is important in running a government,' he said.
Ahmad said the two requisites would be considerations for PDI-P chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri as she looked to make a decision.
'We do this in the hope it can bring good to all Indonesians,' he said.
It was further said that Jokowi's running mate could hail from any background, as the party would not split its attention between civil or military figures, for instance. The most important thing, Ahmad said, was for potential running mates to meet the two requisites set by the party.
'All still have a chance and several names are being discussed. There will be no more than five names [of vice presidential candidates] and the decision will depend on Bu Mega, based on certain political considerations,' he went on.
Among the names said to be potential running mates for Jokowi include former Constitutional Court chief justice Mahfud MD, Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) chairman Abraham Samad, former Army Chief of Staff Gen.(Ret.) Ryamizard Ryacudu, Indonesian Military (TNI) commander Gen.Moeldoko and Jakarta Deputy Governor Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Taipei guide: Four places where fireflies light up the night sky
- Duterte says he can be 50 times more brutal than terrorists
- Six Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
- Bali declared world's top destination for 2017
- Norwegian man caught stealing iPhone at Garuda lounge
- Nearing 100-day mark, Trump says milestone not 'meaningful'
- The sad saga of North Korea's ATMs
- Kanye West, adidas announce launch of newest Yeezy sneakers
- French stocks soar to near-decade highs as Macron tops poll
- World Bank, AIIB ink MoU to strengthen cooperation