Semarang set for Durian Festival
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Fans of funky festivities and flavorsome fruits won't want to miss the Durian Festival in Semarang, Central Java, on Jan. 23-24, which promises to be a riotous celebration of the infamous spiky fruit.
Held on Jatisari field in Mijen subdistrict, a regional retail center for durians, the festival will be open to the public and will feature a range of activities related to the fruit.
"There will be a whole gamut of durian delicacies available, as well as a traditional art parade," Mijen subdistrict head Ali Muhtar recently told kompas.com.
According to Ali, the first day of the festival will involve durian- and rambutan-eating competitions as well as contests including to find the best-quality durian and the most inventive culinary use of the fruit. Meanwhile, a parade of traditional kuda lumping (horse dancing) and drawing and coloring competitions will be held the next day.
"Visitors can eat as much as durian as they want to on the last day of the festival," said Ali, adding that type of durian that would be offered at the festival was a special breed that grew only in the Mijen area. (kes)(+)
You might also like :
- Wu's fans skip Chinese New Year for NBA All Star celebrity game
- Father-son duo arrested over alleged drug dealing
- China vows to protect interests as US eyes trade sanctions
- Italy's country doctor making house calls on horseback
- Indonesia mulls ban on maids to Malaysia
- Adelina’s family demands compensation
- East Java targets to vaccinate 10m following diphtheria outbreak
- Vatican revives pope's sexual abuse panel
- Pakistan child killer handed four death sentences
- India, Iran agree to step up efforts to help Afghanistan