Lawmaker denies bribery following KPK raid
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The deputy chairman of the House of Representatives Commission V overseeing transportation and infrastructure, Yudi Widiana, has clarified rumors over his alleged involvement in a bribery case related to infrastructure construction projects at the Public Works and Public Housing Ministry, a politician has said.
Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) president Sohibul Iman said on Saturday that Yudi had met him and denied any involvement in the case after Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) prosecutors raided his office at the House complex in Senayan, Central Jakarta, on Friday.
"Last night [Friday evening], I summoned him and he explained that he was not involved at all in the case," Sohibul said as quoted by kompas.com on Saturday.
Sohibul said he needed to summon Yudi because the latter's office had been searched by the anti-graft body officials, implying some involvement in the case.
Sohibul asserted that the PKS respected law enforcement efforts conducted by the KPK; however, the party also accepted the explanation conveyed by Yudi, who maintained his innocence in the case.
"His explanation will be our guideline," the PKS president said. He further said he had asked Yudi to follow all legal procedures and said Yudi had responded positively to his request and promised that he would be cooperative throughout the process.
On Friday, the KPK raided the offices of several House members following the arrest of a House Commission V member from the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) faction, Damayanti Wisnu Putranti, who was suspected of having received bribes related to several projects at the Public Works and Public Housing Ministry.
The KPK investigators searched offices of not only Damayanti but also other Commission V members, namely Yudi and Budi Supriyanto of the Golkar Party.
During the raid, House Deputy Speaker Fahri Hamzah lambasted a KPK investigator, HN Christina, about the KPK investigators' move to involve heavily armed Police Mobile Brigade (Brimob) personnel in the search. The prosecutors ignored the PKS politician's protests. (ebf)
You might also like :
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- ASEAN ministers sign agreement on e-commerce