Police identify alleged body of Santoso
The Jakarta Post
Police believe they may have shot and killed East Indonesia Mujahidin (MIT) leader Santoso, Indonesia’s most-wanted terrorist.
Two alleged terrorists were shot dead on Monday evening by members of Alpha 29, an Operation Tinombala taskforce team, in Poso, Central Sulawesi. Police are in the process of identifying the bodies.
The bodies will be transported from Tambarana village to the nearest hospital. identification will begin on Tuesday morning, said National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian.
“We will confirm whether or not it is Santoso within an hour. We are 90 percent certain that it is his body,” Tito said
"(Identification) will involve relatives -- [Santoso’s] wife and children. We will check DNA. Officials have already arrived at the hospital and will begin the process as soon as the bodies arrive," Tito said at the State Palace on Tuesday.
Operation Tinombala taskforce personnel shot and killed the two alleged MIT members during a shootout in Tambarana, Poso.
The Santoso-led group is believed to be linked to the Islamic State (IS) movement. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- Cutting out rice not enough: More lifestyle changes needed to prevent diabetes