Jokowi tells police to probe musician for presidential insult
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has instructed the National Police to investigate musician Ahmad Dhani for allegedly insulting the President, as a symbol of the state, in speech during a mass rally on Nov. 4, attended by more than 100,000 people.
“I have been talking about hate speech [earlier] and to insult a symbol of the state, this should be followed up [by the police],” said Jokowi after meeting with executives of Muhammadiyah in Jakarta on Tuesday as reported by tribunnews.com.
Previously, Dhani was reported by supporters of Jokowi for allegedly insulting the President. At his speech during the mass rally, Dhani criticized Jokowi for not respecting ulemas because he refused to meet them during the rally.
In part of his speech, Dhani made references to animals when speaking about the President, which was considered as an insult by Jokowi supporters.
“If there is legal basis, it should be followed up on,” said Jokowi, when he was asked to comment on the report filed by his supporters—Projo (Pro Jokowi) and Laskar Rakyat Jokowi (People Troops for Jokowi)—to Jakarta Police against Dhani.
If Dhani is found guilty, he could face jail time of between six months and a year.
Projo chairman Budi Arie Setiadi told police to immediately undertake legal proceedings against the musician as his harsh words were exceptionally insulting to the President.
“We fully support the legal process [against Dhani],” said Budi, adding that “insults to the President have caused our democracy to lose its soul.” (bbn)
You might also like :
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Instant Noodle Longform