Taipei: Chinese aircraft carrier transiting Taiwan Strait
Taiwan's defense ministry says rival China's sole aircraft carrier is transiting the Taiwan Strait dividing the two sides.
A ministry statement said the Liaoning was traveling in a northwestern direction along the central line dividing the strait, along with its battle group.
It said the military was closely monitoring the vessels' passage and urged the public not to be alarmed. The Liaoning earlier this month carried out combat drills in the South China Sea which Beijing claims almost in its entirety and has fortified with man-made islands.
China and Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949 and Beijing continues to claim the island as its own territory to be reunified through force if necessary.
Relations between the sides have deteriorated badly since Taiwan elected independence-leaning President Tsai Ing-wen last year.
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash