Taipei: Chinese aircraft carrier transiting Taiwan Strait
Taiwan's defense ministry says rival China's sole aircraft carrier is transiting the Taiwan Strait dividing the two sides.
A ministry statement said the Liaoning was traveling in a northwestern direction along the central line dividing the strait, along with its battle group.
It said the military was closely monitoring the vessels' passage and urged the public not to be alarmed. The Liaoning earlier this month carried out combat drills in the South China Sea which Beijing claims almost in its entirety and has fortified with man-made islands.
China and Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949 and Beijing continues to claim the island as its own territory to be reunified through force if necessary.
Relations between the sides have deteriorated badly since Taiwan elected independence-leaning President Tsai Ing-wen last year.
You might also like :
- Freeport seeks settlement
- NU cleric blames Ahok for unnecessary polemic by quoting Quran
- Religious expert says Ahok's remarks blasphemous
- Indonesia’s GDP to reach $9.1 trillion by 2045: Jokowi
- Jokowi criticizes Trade Ministry for lack of innovation
- Hijab: A personal choice
- Severe congestion at anti-Ahok rally site
- Yahoo salvages Verizon deal with $350 million discount
- Business permits no longer need renewing as of today
- Preserving heritage with locals