Taipei: Chinese aircraft carrier transiting Taiwan Strait
Taiwan's defense ministry says rival China's sole aircraft carrier is transiting the Taiwan Strait dividing the two sides.
A ministry statement said the Liaoning was traveling in a northwestern direction along the central line dividing the strait, along with its battle group.
It said the military was closely monitoring the vessels' passage and urged the public not to be alarmed. The Liaoning earlier this month carried out combat drills in the South China Sea which Beijing claims almost in its entirety and has fortified with man-made islands.
China and Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949 and Beijing continues to claim the island as its own territory to be reunified through force if necessary.
Relations between the sides have deteriorated badly since Taiwan elected independence-leaning President Tsai Ing-wen last year.
You might also like :
- Locals traumatized after farmer eaten by snake
- Apple’s first R&D center to operate in second quarter
- Riau Police dispatch personnel to secure 313 rally
- Money, personal grudge thought to be behind murder of Medan journalist
- KPU Jakarta head denies special relationship with Anies
- Thousands to hit capital for anti-Ahok rally on Friday
- Woman tries to bring bayonet into courtroom for Ahok trial
- Indonesia strengthens aerial reconnaissance for maritime security
- Indonesia-European trade talks on track; to conclude this year
- CLFD to launch maiden real estate project in Indonesia