Taipei: Chinese aircraft carrier transiting Taiwan Strait
Taiwan's defense ministry says rival China's sole aircraft carrier is transiting the Taiwan Strait dividing the two sides.
A ministry statement said the Liaoning was traveling in a northwestern direction along the central line dividing the strait, along with its battle group.
It said the military was closely monitoring the vessels' passage and urged the public not to be alarmed. The Liaoning earlier this month carried out combat drills in the South China Sea which Beijing claims almost in its entirety and has fortified with man-made islands.
China and Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949 and Beijing continues to claim the island as its own territory to be reunified through force if necessary.
Relations between the sides have deteriorated badly since Taiwan elected independence-leaning President Tsai Ing-wen last year.
You might also like :
- Indonesian magician The Sacred Riana is crowned winner of Asia's Got Talent Season 2
- In first, SpaceX launches recycled rocket and spaceship
- Yogyakarta airport developers warned not to ‘steal’ people’s land
- Foundation documents culinary heritage via smartphone app
- 2 killed, 7 injured in Java quake: Agency
- Oil and gas lifting to fall slightly short of target
- Police arrest doctor for alleged hate speech against TNI chief
- Jakarta transportation operators to rejuvenate fleets
- H&M says to close more stores as customers go online
- Saudi women will also be allowed to drive motorcycles