Government to issue new package on agrarian reform
The Jakarta Post
The government is preparing a new economic package to alleviate poverty and reduce economic and social disparity through agrarian reform, head of Presidential Staff Teten Masduki has said.
Part of the policy would see the collection of progressive taxes from those who owned idle plots of land, he noted.
“Poverty and social disparity in Indonesia are worsening,” said Teten, as reported by tempo.co on Friday.
With the new policy, a large number of people would have access to land, encouraging landowners to make their land more productive, he added.
The government would also introduce social forest development to help people access forest land responsibly, he said.
Teten could not explain the details of the progressive tax on idle land, but he stressed that the policy was to prevent people from controlling too much land with no clear function.
“Land has an economic aspect that should not be controlled by a limited number of people,” said Teten. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- A world without America
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Under fire, Trump says he misspoke on Russia election meddling
- Indonesia to invite Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in to attend Asiad
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement