Government to issue new package on agrarian reform
The Jakarta Post
The government is preparing a new economic package to alleviate poverty and reduce economic and social disparity through agrarian reform, head of Presidential Staff Teten Masduki has said.
Part of the policy would see the collection of progressive taxes from those who owned idle plots of land, he noted.
“Poverty and social disparity in Indonesia are worsening,” said Teten, as reported by tempo.co on Friday.
With the new policy, a large number of people would have access to land, encouraging landowners to make their land more productive, he added.
The government would also introduce social forest development to help people access forest land responsibly, he said.
Teten could not explain the details of the progressive tax on idle land, but he stressed that the policy was to prevent people from controlling too much land with no clear function.
“Land has an economic aspect that should not be controlled by a limited number of people,” said Teten. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Washington diocese names 31 former clergy accused of abuse
- Indonesia warns against Australia’s possible embassy move to Jerusalem
- Man arrested for buying baby via Instagram
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- Police on high alert ahead of Indian temple opening to women
- The warning signs get stronger
- For the sake of integrity