Khofifah praises death sentence for Tangerang rapists and murderers
Hans Nicholas Jong
The Jakarta Post
Social Affairs Minister Khofifah Indar Parawansa praised the death sentence handed down to two men found guilty of raping and murdering 19-year-old Eno Parihah by the Tangerang District Court.
“The sentence gives legal certainty for the protection of women and children, and ensures justice, especially for the family of the victim,” Khofifah said on Friday.
She said what the culprits, Imam Harpriadi, 24, and Rahmat Arifin, 24, did was beyond comprehension, and surely left scars that would last for a lifetime for Eno’s family.
Therefore, Khofifah believed the sentence fit the crime.
She said she hoped the sentence would have a deterrent effect, and thus reduce the number of sexual violence cases against women and children in the country.
Eno’s death has rocked Tangerang given the brutality Imam, Rahmat and another perpetrator inflicted upon their victim. The other perpetrator, a 15-year-old boy, was sentenced to 10 years in prison last year. (evi)
You might also like :
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Next US House foreign affairs chief vows to check Trump, warns Russia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC