PAN leaning toward supporting Anies-Sandiaga
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Although it has not made an official decision, the National Mandate Party (PAN) has said it will support Anies Baswedan and running mate Sandiaga Uno in the second round of the Jakarta gubernatorial election.
Joining a coalition led by the Democratic Party, PAN endorsed the Agus Harimurti-Sylviana Murni ticket in the Feb. 15 election. Quick counts by several pollsters and real counts by the General Elections Commission (KPU) show Agus has been left behind Anies and incumbent Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama.
“We’re still waiting for the official result [of vote counting] from the KPU Jakarta, but we’ll likely throw our support behind Anies-Sandiaga in the second round if the final result is like this [Agus loses],” PAN deputy secretary-general Dipo Ilham said on Thursday.
(Read also: PKS, Gerindra work on coalition with Agus camp)
He said the party shared the same vision as Anies-Sandiaga and was of the opinion that the pair had more realistic programs. He stressed that the character and attitude of Ahok was not suited to PAN's ideals.
Dipo acknowledged that PAN had established communication channels with the Anies-Sandiaga campaign team.
“We’ll immediately declare our support for Anies-Sandiaga,” he said.
PAN executive Yandri Susanto also confirmed that the party would transfer its support to Anies-Sandiaga. “The party has decided that we will back Ahok’s rivals. There’s no way we would support Ahok because his character and attitude not match ours,” he said. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Indonesian magician The Sacred Riana is crowned winner of Asia's Got Talent Season 2
- Yogyakarta airport developers warned not to ‘steal’ people’s land
- In first, SpaceX launches recycled rocket and spaceship
- 2 killed, 7 injured in Java quake: Agency
- Foundation documents culinary heritage via smartphone app
- H&M says to close more stores as customers go online
- Saudi women will also be allowed to drive motorcycles
- Jakarta transportation operators to rejuvenate fleets
- Police arrest doctor for alleged hate speech against TNI chief
- Oil and gas lifting to fall slightly short of target