NasDem to endorse ‘Kang’ Emil for West Java’s top post
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The NasDem Party is set to declare its support for Bandung Mayor Ridwan Kamil to run in the 2018 West Java gubernatorial election. The declaration will be held on Tegalega field in Bandung, West Java, on Sunday, during which NasDem chairman Surya Paloh is scheduled to attend.
West Java branch NasDem Party central executive board chairman Saan Mustofa said the party had agreed to endorse Ridwan, popularly known as Kang Emil, due to his persistence in upholding tolerance.
“There is no doubt about Kang Emil’s commitment to pluralism and leadership, not to mention that he is visionary, creative and innovative,” Saan told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
Kang Emil is quite popular among young people, particularly in West Java’s capital city, Bandung, due to his modern approaches to reaching people through social media, such as Twitter. He is also an active user of Instagram and often posts photos with jokes in the captions. Many people praised his efforts to turn several unattractive places and spots in Bandung into parks.
Last year, Ridwan played down rumors that said he would join the Jakarta gubernatorial race. He said he wanted to complete his mandate as the Bandung mayor through 2018, a decision that was widely appreciated by Bandung citizens.
His decision to stay may boost his popularity and cement his image as a politician who is not hungry for power, which will eventually pave his way to win West Java’s top post.
“Of course we need to build a coalition. I’m sure that Kang Emil has established relations with other parties,” Saan said. (ebf)
You might also like :
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- AirAsia to move international flight operations to Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 3