Government expects 9% air passenger growth at Idul Fitri
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Ministry's director general for air transportation, Agus Santoso, said on Friday that the number of air passengers is expected to increase 7 to 9 percent during the Idul Fitri holiday in late June this year from the figure in same period last year.
Airlines may organize extra flights to meet the increasing demand during Lebaran, Agus said.
“With the increasing frequency of flights during Lebaran, we expect an increase of between 7 and 9 percent,” he said on Friday.
(Read also: KAI to increase seat capacity for Idul Fitri exodus)
Agus did not elaborate on the number of extra flights that would be needed during the holiday, but stressed that airlines should operate aircraft that met national and international standards.
Previously, state railway operator PT Kereta Api Indonesia (KAI) also announced it would allocate more seats 10 days before and 10 days after Idul Fitri, namely from June 15 to July 6. It is an increase of 2.1 percent from the same period last year. (bbn)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- We deserve more choices
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Wiji Thukul's daughter heals tragedy with poetry