Lapangan Banteng makeover starts early
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration stated the renovation of Lapangan Banteng park with a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday.
The ceremony, led by acting Jakarta governor Sumarsono, marked the start of the city's makeover plan for the park, which includes fence installation, monument makeover, improvement of sports fields and green areas.
"Revitalization is needed given that Lapangan Banteng is a historical site not only for Jakarta but also Indonesia," Sumarsono said.
The work is being funded by corporate social responsibility programs and fines collected from companies that breached building floor area ratios (KLB).
Friday's start is sooner than the previous schedule for next week.
Sumarsono previously said the fence installation would cost Rp 6.5 billion (US$487,000), while the field makeovers would cost Rp 6.3 billion.
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary