Lapangan Banteng makeover starts early
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration stated the renovation of Lapangan Banteng park with a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday.
The ceremony, led by acting Jakarta governor Sumarsono, marked the start of the city's makeover plan for the park, which includes fence installation, monument makeover, improvement of sports fields and green areas.
"Revitalization is needed given that Lapangan Banteng is a historical site not only for Jakarta but also Indonesia," Sumarsono said.
The work is being funded by corporate social responsibility programs and fines collected from companies that breached building floor area ratios (KLB).
Friday's start is sooner than the previous schedule for next week.
Sumarsono previously said the fence installation would cost Rp 6.5 billion (US$487,000), while the field makeovers would cost Rp 6.3 billion.
- Indonesian man found dead in belly of 7m-long python
- Snake eats human in Sulawesi, under pressure of deforestation: Expert
- EDITORIAL: Separating faith and state
- Indonesia, France talk about palm oil and aircraft industry
- Fears for Indonesian park's rare species as Trump town rises
- Police ready to handle large anti-Ahok rally this week
- Police call on protesters to stay away from election-related political issues
- Ahok's controversial speech not aimed at wooing voters: Expert
- West Nusa Tenggara governor named special envoy for breastfeeding
- West Kalimantan authorities uncover new drug smuggling technique