Golkar politician Melchias denies involvement in e-ID case
The Jakarta Post
Melchias Mekeng, a Golkar Party politician who was also the chairman of House of Representatives Commission XI overseeing finance from 2009 until 2014, reported on Monday Andi Narogong to the National Police Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) for accusing him of accepting money in relation to the e-ID graft case.
"I'm here to find justice," Melchias said when entering Bareskrim. Melchias claimed he was not involved in the e-ID case and therefore felt that Andi's statements had damaged his reputation.
Melchias' name was mentioned first in 2010 by former Democratic Party treasurer Muhammad Nazaruddin, as one of the people who allegedly accepted embezzled money from the e-ID project.
In February, Andi Agustinus alias Andi Narogong, a businessman who was a supplier in the Rp 5.9 trillion e-ID project, also told the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) that during the period of September to October 2010, he had given money to Melchias several times, amounting to US$ 1.4 million, to smoothen the project's budget approval at the House.
Andi claimed the transactions between them happened in the office of Setya Novanto, currently Golkar chairman, and the office of Mustokoweni Murdi, another Golkar lawmaker, on the 12th floor of the House.
The e-ID case has rattled the country's political elite, as it has implicated politicians such as Setya and Melchias, as well as former high-ranking bureaucrats such as former home minister Gamawan Fauzi. (hol/wit)
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Indonesia, Turkey team up to develop military drones
- Government reshuffles directors of railway firms
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube
- Virtual reality, interactive avatars among cruise trends of 2018
- Maritime Museum catches fire on Tuesday morning
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- IDX Tower 2 never been renovated: Management
- Mother allegedly kills her baby at restaurant