Sydney airline grounds 5 planes after propeller drops off
Regional Express Airlines says it has grounded five passenger planes as a precaution after a near disaster in which a propeller fell off an airliner as it approached Sydney Airport.
A Saab 340 carrying 19 passengers and crew landed safely in Sydney on Friday after one its two propellers fell off over Sydney's southwest fringe.
The Sydney-based airline, also known as Rex, said on Monday it had grounded another five of its fleet of 55 Saab 340s because their propeller gear boxes and shafts are from the same series as the defective propeller.
An Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigation team is examining the damaged aircraft. Investigators also want to examine the propeller for clues, but Rex says it has not been found.
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash