Sydney airline grounds 5 planes after propeller drops off
Regional Express Airlines says it has grounded five passenger planes as a precaution after a near disaster in which a propeller fell off an airliner as it approached Sydney Airport.
A Saab 340 carrying 19 passengers and crew landed safely in Sydney on Friday after one its two propellers fell off over Sydney's southwest fringe.
The Sydney-based airline, also known as Rex, said on Monday it had grounded another five of its fleet of 55 Saab 340s because their propeller gear boxes and shafts are from the same series as the defective propeller.
An Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigation team is examining the damaged aircraft. Investigators also want to examine the propeller for clues, but Rex says it has not been found.
You might also like :
- Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan
- #PrayForJakarta, #KamiTidakTakut trend worldwide following bomb blast
- Film inspired by 212 rally to hit cinemas
- Kampung Melayu suicide bomber identified
- Police find links between Jakarta twin bombings and Bandung bombing
- UK issues travel warning after Kampung Melayu bombings
- East Jakarta suicide blasts likely linked to IS: Police
- Pressure cooker bombs used in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- Jakarta suicide bombing kills three police officers
- Jakarta bombing attack a retaliation against police: Analyst