Police thwart attempt to smuggle crystal meth to Nunukan
The Jakarta Post
The Nunukan Police have foiled an attempt to smuggle 7 kilograms of shabu-shabu (crystal methamphetamine) in an operation at Tunon Taka Port, Nunukan, North Kalimantan.
The crystal meth was allegedly carried by a man identified only as R, 38, who traveled from Tarakan on Pelni passenger ship KM Lambelu and arrived in Nunukan on Monday evening.
“We notice the passenger was behaving suspiciously,” Nunukan Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Pasma Royce said on Tuesday.
He said R did not resist arrest. During their search, the police found crystal meth wrapped in seven plastic packages weighing 1 kilogram each. The police also confiscated other evidence, such as mobile phones.
Royce said the plastic bags containing the drugs were inside piles of used goods. “It was to hide them from security officers,” he said.
East Kalimantan Police spokesperson Sr.Comr. Ade Yaya Suryana said separately Tunon Taka Port was prone to smuggling attempts as it was located close to the Indonesia-Malaysia border.
Nunukan can be reached within hours by sea or 40 minutes by air from Tawau, a city in Sabah, Malaysia. “Drug smuggling attempts have repeatedly occurred in Nunukan. We have thwarted several attempts,” said Suryana.
The police have charged R with violating articles 112 (2), 114 (2) and Article 132 of the Criminal Code, which carry a minimum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum penalty of death. (ebf)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape