More than 7 million Jakartans to vote in upcoming April 19 runoff
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta General Elections Commission (KPU Jakarta) has established a final list of 7,218,280 Jakarta residents eligible to use their voting rights in the upcoming gubernatorial runoff election on April 19.
As many as 109,164 new voters were added to the list of 7,108,509 voters eligible in the first round of the election, said KPU Jakarta head Sumarno.
"After the gubernatorial candidates and the Jakarta Elections Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) approves the change, we will establish the final voters list," Sumarno said as quoted by kompas.com on Friday.
"There are also additions from retired officers of the police force and the Army who were previously not allowed to vote," he said.
During the process of determining the final voters list, KPU Jakarta also received suggestions from the campaign teams of the remaining gubernatorial candidates, incumbants Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama and Djarot Saiful Hidayat and challengers Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno.
The number of voters on the runoff's final list, however, was less than the temporary voters list of 7,264,749 people. KPU Jakarta revoked the voting rights of thousands of people because they were deceased, or had moved out of Jakarta, or for other reasons. (dea)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world