Prabowo upbeat about Anies-Sandiaga victory
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto has said he is optimistic that Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno, the gubernatorial candidate pair his party is supporting in the 2017 Jakarta election, will get a victory in the second round of the election.
Prabowo claimed that based on reports from his team, Anies-Sandiaga garnered very good results in the runoff election.
“I’m optimistic,” he said upon arriving at the Gerindra Party headquarters in Ragunan, South Jakarta, on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Prabowo expressed his hope that the Jakarta election would run safely, peacefully, and in a free and fair manner. Democracy was very important for Indonesia’s future, he said.
“Democracy needs a voting process [..] that can run as fair as possible, without interventions from any parties,” said the Gerindra Party chairman.
Prabowo is set to monitor the election’s quick count results at Gerindra’s headquarters. Anies, Sandiaga and other political elites from Gerindra's coalition, including the Islamic-based Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), are set to join.
More than 7.2 million eligible voters headed to polling stations across the city on Wednesday to cast their ballots in the runoff election. The race between Anies-Sandiaga and rivals Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama-Djarot Syaiful Hidayat is very tight, according to pollsters. (afr/ebf)
- Jember airport development kicks off
- EDITORIAL: Strangers of the same race
- No deal yet on Freeport’s 51% share divestment: Luhut
- Airport train to start operating in November
- LNG import is a cheaper option: Luhut
- Escaped Malaysian prisoner believed to be in home country: Bali Police
- Model urges Kendari mayor to apologize for defaming her
- Government to construct loop lines to eliminate railway crossings
- Indonesia projected to produce only 55,000 tons of salt this month
- PAN may endorse Zulkifli to run in 2019 presidential poll