Prabowo upbeat about Anies-Sandiaga victory
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto has said he is optimistic that Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno, the gubernatorial candidate pair his party is supporting in the 2017 Jakarta election, will get a victory in the second round of the election.
Prabowo claimed that based on reports from his team, Anies-Sandiaga garnered very good results in the runoff election.
“I’m optimistic,” he said upon arriving at the Gerindra Party headquarters in Ragunan, South Jakarta, on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Prabowo expressed his hope that the Jakarta election would run safely, peacefully, and in a free and fair manner. Democracy was very important for Indonesia’s future, he said.
“Democracy needs a voting process [..] that can run as fair as possible, without interventions from any parties,” said the Gerindra Party chairman.
Prabowo is set to monitor the election’s quick count results at Gerindra’s headquarters. Anies, Sandiaga and other political elites from Gerindra's coalition, including the Islamic-based Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), are set to join.
More than 7.2 million eligible voters headed to polling stations across the city on Wednesday to cast their ballots in the runoff election. The race between Anies-Sandiaga and rivals Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama-Djarot Syaiful Hidayat is very tight, according to pollsters. (afr/ebf)
- Pertamina renewable investment portion to reach 15 percent by 2030
- Apple plans upgrades to popular AirPods headphones
- Google Assistant adds more languages in global push
- Construction of Central Jakarta Police headquarters to begin in April
- What to watch for in gadgets, deals from the biggest mobile show
- Actor Stephen Fry reveals battle with prostate cancer
- Deputy governor Perry Warjiyo nominated to head Bank Indonesia
- Hopeful travelers line up overnight for flight promotions
- Three bombs hit capital of Myanmar's Rakhine state
- Death toll in Syria enclave tops 500 after UN delays truce vote