Prabowo upbeat about Anies-Sandiaga victory
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto has said he is optimistic that Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno, the gubernatorial candidate pair his party is supporting in the 2017 Jakarta election, will get a victory in the second round of the election.
Prabowo claimed that based on reports from his team, Anies-Sandiaga garnered very good results in the runoff election.
“I’m optimistic,” he said upon arriving at the Gerindra Party headquarters in Ragunan, South Jakarta, on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Prabowo expressed his hope that the Jakarta election would run safely, peacefully, and in a free and fair manner. Democracy was very important for Indonesia’s future, he said.
“Democracy needs a voting process [..] that can run as fair as possible, without interventions from any parties,” said the Gerindra Party chairman.
Prabowo is set to monitor the election’s quick count results at Gerindra’s headquarters. Anies, Sandiaga and other political elites from Gerindra's coalition, including the Islamic-based Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), are set to join.
More than 7.2 million eligible voters headed to polling stations across the city on Wednesday to cast their ballots in the runoff election. The race between Anies-Sandiaga and rivals Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama-Djarot Syaiful Hidayat is very tight, according to pollsters. (afr/ebf)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash