Prabowo upbeat about Anies-Sandiaga victory
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto has said he is optimistic that Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno, the gubernatorial candidate pair his party is supporting in the 2017 Jakarta election, will get a victory in the second round of the election.
Prabowo claimed that based on reports from his team, Anies-Sandiaga garnered very good results in the runoff election.
“I’m optimistic,” he said upon arriving at the Gerindra Party headquarters in Ragunan, South Jakarta, on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Prabowo expressed his hope that the Jakarta election would run safely, peacefully, and in a free and fair manner. Democracy was very important for Indonesia’s future, he said.
“Democracy needs a voting process [..] that can run as fair as possible, without interventions from any parties,” said the Gerindra Party chairman.
Prabowo is set to monitor the election’s quick count results at Gerindra’s headquarters. Anies, Sandiaga and other political elites from Gerindra's coalition, including the Islamic-based Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), are set to join.
More than 7.2 million eligible voters headed to polling stations across the city on Wednesday to cast their ballots in the runoff election. The race between Anies-Sandiaga and rivals Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama-Djarot Syaiful Hidayat is very tight, according to pollsters. (afr/ebf)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia's growing thirst for coffee drains premium bean supplies
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Pro IS cleric gets death for inspiring terror attacks in Indonesia
- India offers free e-visa for Indonesians
- Britain's Prince William on historic trip to Israel and West Bank
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...