Winning pair should prioritize welfare equity: Habibie
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia's third president, BJ Habibie, has said that the candidate pair that wins the Jakarta gubernatorial election should prioritize policies that promote welfare for the people.
The former president, who voted in the Jakarta runoff election at the TPS 5 polling station in South Jakarta, said the election in the capital was a manifestation of democracy.
"People all over the world are watching. In many places, people expect peace, but it's unlikely that peace exists everywhere. We expect [today's election] will be an example for those who are committed to provide welfare," Habibie said as quoted by kompas.com on Wednesday.
Habibie expressed appreciation for Jakartans who were getting critical about political issues and agendas.
"We have to work harder so that everyone can get a chance. We have to fight for every single person in this country and Jakarta should become the example [that promote welfare equity]," Habibie said.
He said he hopes that tensions involving race and religion would also stop spreading and triggering conflicts in society.
Jakartans headed to the polls on Wednesday amid heightened sectarian tension that has been simmering since campaigning started last year.
According to pollsters, the race between incumbent ticket Basuki Tjahaja Purnama and Djarot Syaiful Hidayat and rivals Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno is very tight because the stakes of the election in the capital are so high. (afr)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash