Busy Batam parents send their teens to ‘pesantren’
The Jakarta Post
Having little time at home to look after their children, more parents in Batam, Riau Islands, are sending them to Islam boarding schools — or pesantren — after they finish their final year of elementary school.
The demand for pesantren is high in the industrial city, which is a stone’s throw away from Singapore, forcing some of its top schools to close admission early for the upcoming...
- Sandiaga vows to embrace Ahok supporters
- Jokowi may reshuffle Cabinet: Researcher
- EDITORIAL: Transition in progress
- Indonesia does not need caliphate, MUI chief says amid social media frenzy
- Man wearing condom found dead in hotel room
- Retail brands from China defying stereotype to set up shop in Singapore
- Freeport submits proposal to obtain export permit
- First Jakarta-Los Angeles cargo route launched in Tanjung Priok
- Ahok offered to assist in transition process: Anies
- Indonesia cements reserves, braces for Federal Reserve rate hike