Busy Batam parents send their teens to ‘pesantren’
The Jakarta Post
Having little time at home to look after their children, more parents in Batam, Riau Islands, are sending them to Islam boarding schools — or pesantren — after they finish their final year of elementary school.
The demand for pesantren is high in the industrial city, which is a stone’s throw away from Singapore, forcing some of its top schools to close admission early for the upcoming...
- Experts warn government against complacency in tackling forest fires
- Jakarta-Cikarang commuter line to begin operation in October
- Jakarta collects Rp 120 million in fines from illegal tree-cutting
- BI criticized for burdening consumers with e-money top-up costs
- Indonesia to organize upcoming Europalia cultural festival
- Government advised to increase ceiling on import taxes
- Elisabeth Moss, a Scientologist, wins Emmy for depicting cult
- Minister Susi to sink 100 more fishing boats this year
- Matahari closes two outlets in Jakarta
- Government preparing regulation for 'core tax system'