Busy Batam parents send their teens to ‘pesantren’
The Jakarta Post
Having little time at home to look after their children, more parents in Batam, Riau Islands, are sending them to Islam boarding schools — or pesantren — after they finish their final year of elementary school.
The demand for pesantren is high in the industrial city, which is a stone’s throw away from Singapore, forcing some of its top schools to close admission early for the upcoming...
- Australian arrested for alleged street assault
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- How to get discounted airline tickets outside of travel fairs
- Flights, sea voyages safe despite Anak Krakatau eruption: Official
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- 10 best cities to study abroad
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens