Busy Batam parents send their teens to ‘pesantren’
The Jakarta Post
Having little time at home to look after their children, more parents in Batam, Riau Islands, are sending them to Islam boarding schools — or pesantren — after they finish their final year of elementary school.
The demand for pesantren is high in the industrial city, which is a stone’s throw away from Singapore, forcing some of its top schools to close admission early for the upcoming...
- Jokowi orders police to gun down foreign drug traffickers
- Justin Bieber's Indonesia concert rumors heat up following media reports
- Bumi subsidiary to gain big from NFC deal: Analyst
- Indonesia condemns Israeli crackdown on holy mosque
- Pertamina pledges firm actions against ‘recalcitrant’ LPG distributors
- High-tech mystery: Is a Facebook phone in the works?
- Private investors called on to help supply electricity to villages
- Cruise company to offer trips to Makassar, Semarang
- Dali's trademark moustache intact at '10 past 10'
- Waste bank gives Cengkareng residents extra income