Flash flood victims in Southeast Aceh hope for clothing aid
The Jakarta Post
Evacuees of landslides and flash floods hitting Semadan and Lawe Sigala Gala districts in the Southeast Aceh regency, Aceh, are hoping for clothing aid because they do not have clothes for everyday use anymore.
“Please help us, Sir, we do not have clothes for everyday use. Our houses have been swept away by flash floods,” said Risma boru Simarmata, 45, an evacuee in Lawe Kesumpat village, Lawe Sigala Gala, on Friday, as quoted by Antara.
The Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) states the disasters, which occurred on April 11, have swept away 183 houses and caused severe damages to 47 houses while 208 houses were lightly damaged.
It further says 1,765 people from 460 families must evacuate as they have lost their houses but most of them opt to stay temporarily with their relatives. Two residents reportedly died in the natural disasters.
(Read also: Social affairs minister posts first vlog entry)
Risma said 10 days after the natural disasters hit 14 villages in the two districts, clothing aid provided for the victims was minimal. “The assistance should be in the form of school uniforms, school stationery, sarongs and clothing for everyday use."
BPBD Southeast Aceh secretary Muhammad Nur Hasan Bangko said humanitarian assistance for the landslide and flash flood victims was mostly in form of staple foods such as rice, eggs, instant noodles, mineral water and also medicine.
Aceh Governor Zaini Abdullah said the illegal logging practices caused adverse effects for the people who live in forests and near river stream areas. “I think the flash floods in Southeast Aceh are a result of such practices." (mrc/ebf)
- Ahok mania spreads far beyond Jakarta
- And now, Indosat website hacked
- Rohingya crisis could affect ASEAN stability: Jokowi
- Jokowi, Suu Kyi discuss Rohingya crisis
- Jokowi campaigns for peace, stability on Korean Peninsula
- Myanmar complies with int’l recommendations on Rohingya crisis: Suu Kyi
- Campaign highlights importance of fish consumption
- Thousands of workers to join May Day rally in Jakarta
- Wonderful Indonesia to participate in Malaysia International Dive Expo 2017
- KPK rebuffs House inquiry