Jokowi inaugurates Klewer Market
Ganug Nugroho Adi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called on residents of Surakarta, Central Java, to make the Klewer traditional market their main shopping destination so it can once again play a greater role in boosting the local economy.
The President inaugurated the newly renovated Klewer Market on Friday. A Surakarta icon, the original market was destroyed by a fire in 2014.
Jokowi encouraged residents to enjoy the various improvements made to Klewer Market, and asked its vendors to protect and take good care of their new facility.
“Let’s shop at Klewer Market. Wealthy residents like Ibu Mooryati [Mooryati Soedibyo] must shop here,” he said, referring to the owner of cosmetics company Mustika Ratu, who is from Surakarta.
Jokowi said he hoped to see all traditional markets provide a clean, safe and comfortable shopping experience, with friendly vendors who offer only quality products. They must be able to compete with modern markets, he added.
“Traditional markets must be managed so they can be better and more attractive to visitors. If [shoppers] feel safe and comfortable, they will not just go to malls, but also to traditional markets,” Jokowi said. (ebf)
- BI, government team up to control inflation
- Indonesia seeks immediate return of two fishermen released by Abu Sayyaf
- ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ actor Jun Tae-soo dies
- US Defense Secretary Mattis holds meeting with Retno
- Trial resumes of Kim Jong-Nam murder suspects
- 'Angkot' drivers protest Tanah Abang street closure
- Pence set for warm Israeli welcome, Palestinian snub
- City plans to build permanent bridges in South Jakarta
- Volcano rains ash on Philippines as experts warn of violent eruption
- Jakarta Composite Index hits 6,500 on Monday