Jokowi inaugurates Klewer Market
Ganug Nugroho Adi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called on residents of Surakarta, Central Java, to make the Klewer traditional market their main shopping destination so it can once again play a greater role in boosting the local economy.
The President inaugurated the newly renovated Klewer Market on Friday. A Surakarta icon, the original market was destroyed by a fire in 2014.
Jokowi encouraged residents to enjoy the various improvements made to Klewer Market, and asked its vendors to protect and take good care of their new facility.
“Let’s shop at Klewer Market. Wealthy residents like Ibu Mooryati [Mooryati Soedibyo] must shop here,” he said, referring to the owner of cosmetics company Mustika Ratu, who is from Surakarta.
Jokowi said he hoped to see all traditional markets provide a clean, safe and comfortable shopping experience, with friendly vendors who offer only quality products. They must be able to compete with modern markets, he added.
“Traditional markets must be managed so they can be better and more attractive to visitors. If [shoppers] feel safe and comfortable, they will not just go to malls, but also to traditional markets,” Jokowi said. (ebf)
- Dutch national arrested over alleged hashish possession
- Why RCEP is more dangerous than Bilateral Investment Treaties
- Celebrities lash out at Trump’s decision to ban transgenders from military service
- Transjakarta driver steals bus: Police
- Ahok donates Rp 200 million for dancing fountain renovation
- PAN to withdraw from KPK inquiry committee
- City to repair sidewalks with leftover budget from Semanggi project
- Cut! Regulators at odds with censors
- Papuan student jailed for resisting arrest in Yogyakarta
- Redenomination not in near future: Jokowi