Jokowi inaugurates Klewer Market
Ganug Nugroho Adi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called on residents of Surakarta, Central Java, to make the Klewer traditional market their main shopping destination so it can once again play a greater role in boosting the local economy.
The President inaugurated the newly renovated Klewer Market on Friday. A Surakarta icon, the original market was destroyed by a fire in 2014.
Jokowi encouraged residents to enjoy the various improvements made to Klewer Market, and asked its vendors to protect and take good care of their new facility.
“Let’s shop at Klewer Market. Wealthy residents like Ibu Mooryati [Mooryati Soedibyo] must shop here,” he said, referring to the owner of cosmetics company Mustika Ratu, who is from Surakarta.
Jokowi said he hoped to see all traditional markets provide a clean, safe and comfortable shopping experience, with friendly vendors who offer only quality products. They must be able to compete with modern markets, he added.
“Traditional markets must be managed so they can be better and more attractive to visitors. If [shoppers] feel safe and comfortable, they will not just go to malls, but also to traditional markets,” Jokowi said. (ebf)
- Why foreigners play American superheroes and that's (mostly) fine
- Wreaths for Ahok reach thousand
- Anies' victory raises Muslim dignity in politics: PKS
- 7-Eleven sold as business declines
- Indonesian militants can ‘easily’ enter Philippines
- Nicki Minaj features Indonesian designer’s work in latest music video
- Sandiaga to provide entrepreneurship program for thugs
- Role of women seen as vital to resisting Islamic extremism
- As KPK delves into BLBI, Jokowi says it was not Megawati's fault
- Nigerian man shot dead in drugs bust