Grenade found near State Palace
The Jakarta Post
A grenade was discovered at Pecenongan Police station in Gambir, not far from the State Palace in Central Jakarta, on Tuesday.
Central Jakarta Police deputy chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Asep Guntur said the police deployed the Gegana bomb squad to the station to make the grenade safe soon after the discovery at about 10 a.m.
Asep explained that a police officer, Rasjo, found a white plastic bag in front of the station and brought it inside.
“Not long after that, the station head First Police Inspector Pande K Widiasa arrived and opened the bag to find a grenade inside it,” he said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
Pande put the bag outside the police station again and contacted the Gegana bomb squad to make it safe, Asep said, “Whether it is active or not is up to Gegana to decide.”
The grenade discovery was the second such incident recently occurring near the State Palace.
Last month, a group of people broke into and damaged parts of the Monas Barat police post in Gambir, the location was in the vicinity of City Hall and several other government buildings, including the State Palace. (vny)
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- SBY attends ceremony at State Palace
- KPK gets new information on flow of funds in e-ID graft