‘Beduk’ festival to welcome Idul Fitri in Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration will hold the final round of the Beduk Festival drumming competition on June 24 at City Hall as part of the capital’s Idul Fitri celebration.
Subdistrict across Jakarta will be allowed to compete in the festival and vie for a trophy and a cash prize.
Jakarta’s assistant to the secretary for administrative affairs, Bambang Sugiono, said the competition would start on June 16 at the district level and on June 19 for municipalities.
"District winners will compete at the municipal level; finalists will then compete at city hall," he said on Wednesday as quoted by beritajakarta.id.
A team will comprise six members; five will hit the beduk, a large drum made of animal skin and barrel, and one will chant the takbir (prayer in praise of Allah). Assessments will be based on each group’s 10-minute performance and team work, Bambang said.
"The first-place winner will earn Rp 15 million [US$1,129], second-place winners will receive Rp 10 million, while the third-place winner will get Rp 7.5 million," he said, adding that each winner would also bring home a goat and governor’s trophy. (fac)
- North Jakarta court jails men for two years over 'gay sex party'
- Bali remains most popular destination for Middle Eastern tourists
- SHINee’s Jonghyun dies in hospital
- Mount Agung not a threat, let’s go to Bali: Minister
- Taeyang, Min Hyo-rin to tie the knot in early 2018
- Golkar kicks off national meeting to inaugurate Airlangga
- Bali prepares complimentary transportation, rooms if Mt. Agung erupts
- Jakarta nightclubs targeted following drug raids
- Milk, mackerel to be part of Jakarta food subsidy program
- Jakarta to procure more emissions test equipment