‘Beduk’ festival to welcome Idul Fitri in Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration will hold the final round of the Beduk Festival drumming competition on June 24 at City Hall as part of the capital’s Idul Fitri celebration.
Subdistrict across Jakarta will be allowed to compete in the festival and vie for a trophy and a cash prize.
Jakarta’s assistant to the secretary for administrative affairs, Bambang Sugiono, said the competition would start on June 16 at the district level and on June 19 for municipalities.
"District winners will compete at the municipal level; finalists will then compete at city hall," he said on Wednesday as quoted by beritajakarta.id.
A team will comprise six members; five will hit the beduk, a large drum made of animal skin and barrel, and one will chant the takbir (prayer in praise of Allah). Assessments will be based on each group’s 10-minute performance and team work, Bambang said.
"The first-place winner will earn Rp 15 million [US$1,129], second-place winners will receive Rp 10 million, while the third-place winner will get Rp 7.5 million," he said, adding that each winner would also bring home a goat and governor’s trophy. (fac)
- Thousands sign petition against sentence for Malaysian who abused maid
- Saudi Arabia beheads Indonesian worker despite Jokowi’s pleas for clemency
- Bottled water meets quality standards: BPOM
- Why the rich in Jakarta have better access to water than the poor
- No condoms or cigarettes sold at Muslim convenience store in Depok
- Missing giant yellow duck found in Australia
- Residents clash with police personnel in land execution in C. Sulawesi
- Anies issues regulation simplifying process of shutting down entertainment spots
- With Rp 10 billion, what kind of home can you get in Jakarta?
- Indonesian short film on oil palm industry enters international festivals