KEIN recommends development of four sectors
Fedina S. Sundaryani
The Jakarta Post
The National Economic and Industry Committee (KEIN) has called on the government to focus on the development of four sectors — agribusiness, maritime, the creative industry and tourism — to boost economic growth and job creation.
The four sectors are included in KEIN’s industry road map, which has been implemented for the period of one year and four months, KEIN chairman Sutrisno Bachir said in Jakarta.
The document was submitted to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Wednesday, he added.
(Read also: KEIN suggests paradigm change in state budget plan)
The four sectors were recommended because the exploitation Indonesia’s vast natural resources should be given priority, not only to support economic growth, but also to create more jobs, including for those with minimal skills and education, Sutrisno explained.
“If these four sectors are developed to its maximum potential, we believe that we can reach an economic growth of between 7 and 8 percent,” he said after a meeting at the State Palace in Jakarta.
KEIN also recommended 19 policies, including fiscal incentives in the form of tax exemptions and lowered interest rates, to further boost the economy.
“However, the incentives must be on a case-by-case basis,” said Sutrisno, a businessman-cum-politician from the National Mandate Party (PAN). (bbn)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions