KEIN recommends development of four sectors
Fedina S. Sundaryani
The Jakarta Post
The National Economic and Industry Committee (KEIN) has called on the government to focus on the development of four sectors — agribusiness, maritime, the creative industry and tourism — to boost economic growth and job creation.
The four sectors are included in KEIN’s industry road map, which has been implemented for the period of one year and four months, KEIN chairman Sutrisno Bachir said in Jakarta.
The document was submitted to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Wednesday, he added.
(Read also: KEIN suggests paradigm change in state budget plan)
The four sectors were recommended because the exploitation Indonesia’s vast natural resources should be given priority, not only to support economic growth, but also to create more jobs, including for those with minimal skills and education, Sutrisno explained.
“If these four sectors are developed to its maximum potential, we believe that we can reach an economic growth of between 7 and 8 percent,” he said after a meeting at the State Palace in Jakarta.
KEIN also recommended 19 policies, including fiscal incentives in the form of tax exemptions and lowered interest rates, to further boost the economy.
“However, the incentives must be on a case-by-case basis,” said Sutrisno, a businessman-cum-politician from the National Mandate Party (PAN). (bbn)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...