Aircraft nearly collide at Soekarno Hatta airport
The Jakarta Post
Officials have confirmed that two aircraft came close to colliding with each other on the runway of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, on Sunday night.
The story went public on Monday when Louisa Tuhatu, a passenger on board Garuda flight GA425 from Bali to Jakarta, saw that her aircraft almost hit a Sriwijaya Air plane on the tarmac before the Garuda pilot aborted the landing. The passenger spread the news on social media.
The Indonesian Flight Navigation Service Institution (AirNav Indonesia) confirmed the incident, saying that a go-around order was issued to the Garuda pilot for safety reasons.
“We had to make the call ordering the Garuda flight to cancel its landing as there was a Sriwijaya Air aircraft that had earlier cancelled its take-off because of technical problems,” said Didiet KS Radityo, AirNav’s corporate secretary, in a statement on Monday.
He added that the airport control tower had given the Sriwijaya Air aircraft clearance for take-off. Unfortunately, the pilot had to abort.
“We are checking all records and data to retrieve more information regarding the matter,” Didiet said. (kuk/ipa)
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta
- Thousands of online ‘ojek’ drivers stage rally, demand better pay, partnerships
- No ticketing on first day of Sudirman-Thamrin odd-even trial run