Aircraft nearly collide at Soekarno Hatta airport
The Jakarta Post
Officials have confirmed that two aircraft came close to colliding with each other on the runway of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, on Sunday night.
The story went public on Monday when Louisa Tuhatu, a passenger on board Garuda flight GA425 from Bali to Jakarta, saw that her aircraft almost hit a Sriwijaya Air plane on the tarmac before the Garuda pilot aborted the landing. The passenger spread the news on social media.
The Indonesian Flight Navigation Service Institution (AirNav Indonesia) confirmed the incident, saying that a go-around order was issued to the Garuda pilot for safety reasons.
“We had to make the call ordering the Garuda flight to cancel its landing as there was a Sriwijaya Air aircraft that had earlier cancelled its take-off because of technical problems,” said Didiet KS Radityo, AirNav’s corporate secretary, in a statement on Monday.
He added that the airport control tower had given the Sriwijaya Air aircraft clearance for take-off. Unfortunately, the pilot had to abort.
“We are checking all records and data to retrieve more information regarding the matter,” Didiet said. (kuk/ipa)
- Ahok faces threats in Cipinang prison: Warden
- Prosecutors in e-ID case demand former Home Ministry officials be jailed
- How embargo affects Qatar investment in Indonesia
- Two Bali foreign inmates caught in Timor Leste
- Beijing's new mega airport will challenge Air China's dominance
- Bank Indonesia sets chip technology standard for ATMs, debit cards
- House inquiry team to meet National Police to ‘straighten things out’
- East Jakarta robbery gang well managed: Police
- Piaggio Indonesia poised strongly against Honda's challenge
- Police question witnesses following Kerobokan prison escape