Village head candidate reportedly involved in fatal West Jakarta robbery
The Jakarta Post
One member of a gang of robbers, known as the Lampung Gang, that police believe was behind the fatal shooting of Davidson Tantono, 30, in West Jakarta is reportedly a village head candidate and planned to use the stolen money to finance his campaign.
“He is jobless and was going to use the money from the robberies to finance his campaign in the village head election,” Jakarta Police mobile detective unit head Adj. Sr. Com. Aris Priyono said on Sunday.
The suspect, identified only as DTK, who allegedly played a role in the theft of Rp 350 million (US$26,343.5) from Davidson on June 9, was registered for the village head candidacy in South Pardasuka, Katibung district, South Lampung regency, Lampung.
“He has got a campaign team and they have started to gather support,” Aris said as quoted by tribunnews.com, adding that DTK had promised his team he would prepare a big fund.
“DTK got Rp 24 million and the other members received at least Rp 14 million each,” he added.
The gang members divided the robbery proceeds based on the level of ability, the police said.
The Lampung Gang is believed to be responsible for robberies in 23 locations and to have stolen Rp 1.18 billion in two months.
Police shot another suspect, identified only as IR, dead while resisting arrest in Bogor, West Java.
The Jakarta Police are still hunting the gang leader, who is believed to have killed Davidson. (dra)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Indonesian military, police set to secure Obama’s visit
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash