Village head candidate reportedly involved in fatal West Jakarta robbery
The Jakarta Post
One member of a gang of robbers, known as the Lampung Gang, that police believe was behind the fatal shooting of Davidson Tantono, 30, in West Jakarta is reportedly a village head candidate and planned to use the stolen money to finance his campaign.
“He is jobless and was going to use the money from the robberies to finance his campaign in the village head election,” Jakarta Police mobile detective unit head Adj. Sr. Com. Aris Priyono said on Sunday.
The suspect, identified only as DTK, who allegedly played a role in the theft of Rp 350 million (US$26,343.5) from Davidson on June 9, was registered for the village head candidacy in South Pardasuka, Katibung district, South Lampung regency, Lampung.
“He has got a campaign team and they have started to gather support,” Aris said as quoted by tribunnews.com, adding that DTK had promised his team he would prepare a big fund.
“DTK got Rp 24 million and the other members received at least Rp 14 million each,” he added.
The gang members divided the robbery proceeds based on the level of ability, the police said.
The Lampung Gang is believed to be responsible for robberies in 23 locations and to have stolen Rp 1.18 billion in two months.
Police shot another suspect, identified only as IR, dead while resisting arrest in Bogor, West Java.
The Jakarta Police are still hunting the gang leader, who is believed to have killed Davidson. (dra)
- Sri Mulyani criticizes poor budget planning by government institutions
- Clooneys donate $500,000 to student gun reform march
- Indonesia prepares four fiscal incentives to boost investment
- Q&A: What you need to know about Ahok's case review petition
- Qatar Airways receives world’s first Airbus A350-1000
- Seven lesser-known dive areas in Indonesia
- Minister to evaluate Waskita’s board of directors over accident
- Jokowi redeems Metallica double-LP set from KPK
- Dementia clearly linked to chronic boozing: Study
- Dua Lipa to grace Asian stages in May