Ostapenko into first Wimbledon quarterfinal
Jelena Ostapenko advanced to her first Wimbledon quarter-final as the French Open champion finally converted her eighth match point to defeat Elina Svitolina 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) on Monday.
Latvian 13th seed Ostapenko, the 2014 junior Wimbledon champion, squandered seven match points in the second set before eventually seeing off the Ukrainian world number five to make just her second last eight appearance at a major.
The 20-year-old, whose triumph in Paris last month made her only the third player born in the 1990s to win a Grand Slam, faces five-time Wimbledon winner Venus Williams or Croatian teenager Ana Konjuh for a place in the semi-finals.
- Two sisters commit suicide by jumping from apartment
- Fires burn 64 hectares of land in West Aceh
- PAN refuses to withdraw from Cabinet
- PLN cuts power to three high schools in West Jakarta
- All ASEAN countries but Indonesia ban cigarette advertising
- Big tobacco woos small shops
- China urges US to stop 'unfriendly' recon flights
- Hundreds of 'ojek' drivers block South Jakarta road
- Thousands sign up for Bogor Palace tour
- Where is the disability? My stumps don't define me