Ostapenko into first Wimbledon quarterfinal
Jelena Ostapenko advanced to her first Wimbledon quarter-final as the French Open champion finally converted her eighth match point to defeat Elina Svitolina 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) on Monday.
Latvian 13th seed Ostapenko, the 2014 junior Wimbledon champion, squandered seven match points in the second set before eventually seeing off the Ukrainian world number five to make just her second last eight appearance at a major.
The 20-year-old, whose triumph in Paris last month made her only the third player born in the 1990s to win a Grand Slam, faces five-time Wimbledon winner Venus Williams or Croatian teenager Ana Konjuh for a place in the semi-finals.
- Metro TV fires reporter connected to Setya
- Japan proposes to build new tracks for Jakarta-Surabaya railway: Minister
- End nears for Mugabe as ruling party turns against him
- Online exhibit shows hidden depths of Picasso's 'Guernica'
- Tourism Ministry to focus on developing four New Balis next year
- Commentary: Stop making jokes about Setya. It's not funny anymore.
- Macron's popularity recovers as French see him keeping promises
- Boxer knocks out rival in 11 seconds
- UK aims for driverless cars by 2021
- Germany in political crisis as coalition talks collapse