Ostapenko into first Wimbledon quarterfinal
Jelena Ostapenko advanced to her first Wimbledon quarter-final as the French Open champion finally converted her eighth match point to defeat Elina Svitolina 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) on Monday.
Latvian 13th seed Ostapenko, the 2014 junior Wimbledon champion, squandered seven match points in the second set before eventually seeing off the Ukrainian world number five to make just her second last eight appearance at a major.
The 20-year-old, whose triumph in Paris last month made her only the third player born in the 1990s to win a Grand Slam, faces five-time Wimbledon winner Venus Williams or Croatian teenager Ana Konjuh for a place in the semi-finals.
- Soekarno-Hatta Airport to implement cashless transactions for parking
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- Violence cases against women, children in Jambi increased: Official
- Supermodel reunion at blockbuster Versace tribute in Milan