Jakarta to renovate Setu Babakan cultural neighborhood
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration is set to renovate Betawi cultural neighborhood Setu Babakan in Jagakarasa, South Jakarta, ahead of the Lebaran Betawi event slated for the end of the month.
Several main buildings in Setu Babakan were severely damaged and are in need of renovations, said City Secretary Saefullah.
“Many physical facilities need to be repaired. The roofs of some buildings are loose and several pillars also need to be repainted,” he said on Tuesday as reported by beritajakarta.com.
Lack of maintenance caused the deteriorated condition, Saefullah said, adding that he had asked related working units to improve the Setu Babakan area.
In addition to renovations on buildings, improvements will also be made to the area’s streets and lake. The Lebaran Betawi event, which is usually celebrated after Idul Fitri, will be held on July 28-30.Read also: City opens first Betawi store
Setu Babakan Management Unit head Rofiqoh Mustafa said his office had allocated Rp 300 million (US$ 22,400) to complete the renovations ahead of Lebaran Betawi.
“We also received funds from Corporate Social Responsibility [CSR] programs to paint the buildings,” she said. (wnd/rin)
- Beware the dangers of pre-cooked meals
- Korean comedy-drama sparks uproar for 'disrespecting Islam'
- 4 cities in Indonesia where you can travel by foot
- Another cargo plane skids off runway in Papua
- WhatsApp adds Picture-in-Picture feature on Android 8.0
- Six ITB students injured by crumbling pillar
- Wonderful Indonesia Festival 2017 to grace Manila
- Foreign tourists flocked to Penyengat Island Festival 2017
- Jember crowned Indonesia's Carnival City
- Danilo completes Man City move