Jakarta to renovate Setu Babakan cultural neighborhood
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration is set to renovate Betawi cultural neighborhood Setu Babakan in Jagakarasa, South Jakarta, ahead of the Lebaran Betawi event slated for the end of the month.
Several main buildings in Setu Babakan were severely damaged and are in need of renovations, said City Secretary Saefullah.
“Many physical facilities need to be repaired. The roofs of some buildings are loose and several pillars also need to be repainted,” he said on Tuesday as reported by beritajakarta.com.
Lack of maintenance caused the deteriorated condition, Saefullah said, adding that he had asked related working units to improve the Setu Babakan area.
In addition to renovations on buildings, improvements will also be made to the area’s streets and lake. The Lebaran Betawi event, which is usually celebrated after Idul Fitri, will be held on July 28-30.Read also: City opens first Betawi store
Setu Babakan Management Unit head Rofiqoh Mustafa said his office had allocated Rp 300 million (US$ 22,400) to complete the renovations ahead of Lebaran Betawi.
“We also received funds from Corporate Social Responsibility [CSR] programs to paint the buildings,” she said. (wnd/rin)
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Cuba to get ready for same sex marriage: Castro daughter
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- India offers free e-visa for Indonesians
- Civilian appointed as temporary N. Sumatra governor