Jakarta to renovate Setu Babakan cultural neighborhood
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration is set to renovate Betawi cultural neighborhood Setu Babakan in Jagakarasa, South Jakarta, ahead of the Lebaran Betawi event slated for the end of the month.
Several main buildings in Setu Babakan were severely damaged and are in need of renovations, said City Secretary Saefullah.
“Many physical facilities need to be repaired. The roofs of some buildings are loose and several pillars also need to be repainted,” he said on Tuesday as reported by beritajakarta.com.
Lack of maintenance caused the deteriorated condition, Saefullah said, adding that he had asked related working units to improve the Setu Babakan area.
In addition to renovations on buildings, improvements will also be made to the area’s streets and lake. The Lebaran Betawi event, which is usually celebrated after Idul Fitri, will be held on July 28-30.Read also: City opens first Betawi store
Setu Babakan Management Unit head Rofiqoh Mustafa said his office had allocated Rp 300 million (US$ 22,400) to complete the renovations ahead of Lebaran Betawi.
“We also received funds from Corporate Social Responsibility [CSR] programs to paint the buildings,” she said. (wnd/rin)
- Metro TV fires reporter connected to Setya
- Japan proposes to build new tracks for Jakarta-Surabaya railway: Minister
- End nears for Mugabe as ruling party turns against him
- Online exhibit shows hidden depths of Picasso's 'Guernica'
- Tourism Ministry to focus on developing four New Balis next year
- Commentary: Stop making jokes about Setya. It's not funny anymore.
- Macron's popularity recovers as French see him keeping promises
- Boxer knocks out rival in 11 seconds
- UK aims for driverless cars by 2021
- Germany in political crisis as coalition talks collapse