Jakarta to renovate Setu Babakan cultural neighborhood
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration is set to renovate Betawi cultural neighborhood Setu Babakan in Jagakarasa, South Jakarta, ahead of the Lebaran Betawi event slated for the end of the month.
Several main buildings in Setu Babakan were severely damaged and are in need of renovations, said City Secretary Saefullah.
“Many physical facilities need to be repaired. The roofs of some buildings are loose and several pillars also need to be repainted,” he said on Tuesday as reported by beritajakarta.com.
Lack of maintenance caused the deteriorated condition, Saefullah said, adding that he had asked related working units to improve the Setu Babakan area.
In addition to renovations on buildings, improvements will also be made to the area’s streets and lake. The Lebaran Betawi event, which is usually celebrated after Idul Fitri, will be held on July 28-30.Read also: City opens first Betawi store
Setu Babakan Management Unit head Rofiqoh Mustafa said his office had allocated Rp 300 million (US$ 22,400) to complete the renovations ahead of Lebaran Betawi.
“We also received funds from Corporate Social Responsibility [CSR] programs to paint the buildings,” she said. (wnd/rin)
- Residents near Mt. Agung begin to relocate their livestock
- G30S/PKI film is the correct version of history: Tommy Soeharto
- Uber tops 500,000 signatures on petition to halt London ban
- Keep calm and enjoy Bali: Tourism association
- Wiranto calms fear over weapon shipment rumor
- Owner of Islamic matchmaking site arrested, charged under Pornography Law
- Thousands flee rumbling Mount Agung
- Gatot order on PKI film could create division: PDI-P
- Singapore IS fighter challenges Prince Harry in video
- ‘Unicorn Gundam’ illuminated, dazzles in official unveiling