Police arrest two more suspected attackers of IT expert
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police arrested on Thursday two more suspects who allegedly attacked Hermansyah, an IT expert who defended notorious Islamist cleric Rizieq Shihab and Rizieq’s pornographic WhatsApp conversations.
“We arrested two more suspects in Bandung,” the Jakarta Police’s violent crimes unit head Hendy F. Kurniawan said as quoted by kompas.com on Thursday.
He further said the police had confiscated a Toyota Yaris car driven by the perpetrators during the attack on Sunday.
The arrests increase the number of suspected attackers in the case to four people. The police previously nabbed two other suspects.
The suspects are Edwin Hitipeuw, Lauren Paliyam, Richard Patipelu and Erick. The police are still hunting down another suspect identified only as Domingus.
The perpetrators said the attack was caused by a quarrel between them and Hermansyah after the Honda City driven by Edwin grazed Hermansyah’s Toyota Avanza. Hermansyah chased the car and then the quarrel started.
Lauren, who drove a Toyota Yaris, arrived on the scene to help his brother Edwin and allegedly stabbed Hermansyah. Edwin also said he assaulted Hermansyah’s wife, Iriana, who was in the car with her husband.
Lauren claims that the stabbing had nothing to do with Hermansyah’s stance in Rizieq’s case. “The attack was not because of an order,” Lauren said at the Jakarta Police headquarters on Thursday. (fac/ebf)
- Metro TV fires reporter connected to Setya
- Japan proposes to build new tracks for Jakarta-Surabaya railway: Minister
- End nears for Mugabe as ruling party turns against him
- Online exhibit shows hidden depths of Picasso's 'Guernica'
- Tourism Ministry to focus on developing four New Balis next year
- Commentary: Stop making jokes about Setya. It's not funny anymore.
- Macron's popularity recovers as French see him keeping promises
- Boxer knocks out rival in 11 seconds
- UK aims for driverless cars by 2021
- Germany in political crisis as coalition talks collapse