Police arrest two more suspected attackers of IT expert
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police arrested on Thursday two more suspects who allegedly attacked Hermansyah, an IT expert who defended notorious Islamist cleric Rizieq Shihab and Rizieq’s pornographic WhatsApp conversations.
“We arrested two more suspects in Bandung,” the Jakarta Police’s violent crimes unit head Hendy F. Kurniawan said as quoted by kompas.com on Thursday.
He further said the police had confiscated a Toyota Yaris car driven by the perpetrators during the attack on Sunday.
The arrests increase the number of suspected attackers in the case to four people. The police previously nabbed two other suspects.
The suspects are Edwin Hitipeuw, Lauren Paliyam, Richard Patipelu and Erick. The police are still hunting down another suspect identified only as Domingus.
The perpetrators said the attack was caused by a quarrel between them and Hermansyah after the Honda City driven by Edwin grazed Hermansyah’s Toyota Avanza. Hermansyah chased the car and then the quarrel started.
Lauren, who drove a Toyota Yaris, arrived on the scene to help his brother Edwin and allegedly stabbed Hermansyah. Edwin also said he assaulted Hermansyah’s wife, Iriana, who was in the car with her husband.
Lauren claims that the stabbing had nothing to do with Hermansyah’s stance in Rizieq’s case. “The attack was not because of an order,” Lauren said at the Jakarta Police headquarters on Thursday. (fac/ebf)
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- Mitsubishi, Honda introduce special edition cars at IIMS
- Government issues revised regulation on tax holidays
- Palm oil exports fall by 14% in February: Gapki
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Astra's financing wing to issue global bond in second half
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta