School bus plunges off cliff in Samosir, 3 students killed
The Jakarta Post
Three students were killed and 34 others injured after the school bus they were traveling in plunged off a cliff in Tanjungan village in Samosir regency, North Sumatra, on Monday morning.
The dead victims were identified as Cindi Sinaga, 14 and Elfika Situmorang, 14, from Hutaginjang village, as well as Ester Situmorang, 15, from Tanjungan village.
Traffic unit head at the Samosir Police Adj. Comr. Ferrymon said the driver, identified as Bilinton Situmorang, drove the bus at very high speed when traveling from Onan Runggu to Simanindo in Samosir. “As a result, the driver lost control and plunged off the 25-meter cliff,” he told The Jakarta Post, adding that the driver was being treated at the Pangururan Hospital.
Mei Sinaga, a survivor, said the students had warned the driver to be careful while driving. “The driver was seemingly worried he would fail to get us to school on time,” Mei, who suffered a minor injury, said.
Ferrymon said the police were still investigating the accident.
Samosir Regent Rapidin Simbolon said he hoped the police could complete the investigation as soon as possible. (bbs)
- Transgender people assaulted by dozens of men in Bekasi
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Ed Sheeran on BTS: ‘I think they are great’
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Foreign investors allowed to own 100% shares in 25 business units
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Whale shark seen in Jakarta Bay
- Crown prince a 'red line' in Khashoggi probe: Saudi FM
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos