School bus plunges off cliff in Samosir, 3 students killed
The Jakarta Post
Three students were killed and 34 others injured after the school bus they were traveling in plunged off a cliff in Tanjungan village in Samosir regency, North Sumatra, on Monday morning.
The dead victims were identified as Cindi Sinaga, 14 and Elfika Situmorang, 14, from Hutaginjang village, as well as Ester Situmorang, 15, from Tanjungan village.
Traffic unit head at the Samosir Police Adj. Comr. Ferrymon said the driver, identified as Bilinton Situmorang, drove the bus at very high speed when traveling from Onan Runggu to Simanindo in Samosir. “As a result, the driver lost control and plunged off the 25-meter cliff,” he told The Jakarta Post, adding that the driver was being treated at the Pangururan Hospital.
Mei Sinaga, a survivor, said the students had warned the driver to be careful while driving. “The driver was seemingly worried he would fail to get us to school on time,” Mei, who suffered a minor injury, said.
Ferrymon said the police were still investigating the accident.
Samosir Regent Rapidin Simbolon said he hoped the police could complete the investigation as soon as possible. (bbs)
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Medan police officer imprisoned for shredding Quran
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- New Zealand PM makes UN history with first baby
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world