Police urged to drop charges over criticism of apartment building management
Winda A. Charmila
The Jakarta Post
The Legal Aid Institute for the Press (LBH Pers) has called on the Jakarta Police to drop defamation charges against comedian Muhadkly, popularly known as Acho, who had been reported for ranting about poor management of the apartment building where he lives.
LBH Pers lawyer Ade Wahyudin said Acho had only stated his observation about the apartment building, the Green Pramuka City, which was based on his experiences as a resident.
“Acho represented the concerns of other tenants who are also harmed by the management. He did not express his opinion to slander, let alone defame, the developer, but to tell the truth to the public,” Ade said on Sunday.
Ade said Acho had the right to express his opinion as guaranteed by the Constitution.
He added that Article 310 of the Criminal Code, which regulates defamation, could not be applied in cases related to the public interest or self-defense.
In March 2015, Acho posted an article on his blog about his disappointment with the parking system, delay in the delivery of his unit ownership certificate and non-transparent fees. Danang Surya Winata, the lawyer who represents apartment developer PT Duta Paramindo Sejahtera, reported Acho to the police for defamation based on Article 27 of the Electronic Information and Transactions (ITE) Law and Criminal Code Articles 310 and 311 in November of the same year.
Police have named Acho a suspect, and his case dossier is set to be sent to the Central Jakarta Prosecutor's Office on Monday. (wit)
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte