Kerinci deputy speaker acquitted of adultery
The Jakarta Post
The Sungaipenuh District Court in Jambi has declared Kerinci Legislative Council (DPRD) deputy speaker Adi Purnomo not guilty of adultery.
Prosecutors had demanded the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) politician be sentenced to eight months in jail for violating Article 284 of the Criminal Code on adultery.
“[The court] acquits the defendant of all charges,” presiding judge Yudi Noviandri said on Monday.
The prosecutors said they would consider appealing the verdict.
Adi, who is considering running for Kerinci regent next year, had been accused of having an affair with a married woman identified as Sukasih.
Read also: Kerinci deputy speaker at risk of dismissal
The case was first reported in October 2015, by Sukasih’s husband, Ipe Perdamaian, who initially accused the politician of raping his wife.
The police, however, later charged Adi with adultery. After a lengthy investigation, Adi and Sukasih were named suspects in June last year.
Adi has faced possible dismissal from the legislative council. However, the council’s ethics board had not announced a decision as of Monday. (bbs)
- BTS presents tearful, beautiful finale of ‘Wings’ tour in Seoul
- Foreign prisoner escapes from Kerobokan prison
- Online shops not causing closure of retail outlets: BPS
- Heavy rainfall in Jakarta topples trees, disrupts traffic
- Floods, toppled trees disrupt Transjakarta services
- Heavy rainfall unanticipated, says BPBD
- Jakarta administration criticized for not uploading meeting videos
- ‘Wonder’, a wonderfully heartwarming film for all
- Chengdu tops list as China's happiest city
- Qatar interested in investing in Mandalika tourism zone: Luhut