Kerinci deputy speaker acquitted of adultery
The Jakarta Post
The Sungaipenuh District Court in Jambi has declared Kerinci Legislative Council (DPRD) deputy speaker Adi Purnomo not guilty of adultery.
Prosecutors had demanded the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) politician be sentenced to eight months in jail for violating Article 284 of the Criminal Code on adultery.
“[The court] acquits the defendant of all charges,” presiding judge Yudi Noviandri said on Monday.
The prosecutors said they would consider appealing the verdict.
Adi, who is considering running for Kerinci regent next year, had been accused of having an affair with a married woman identified as Sukasih.
Read also: Kerinci deputy speaker at risk of dismissal
The case was first reported in October 2015, by Sukasih’s husband, Ipe Perdamaian, who initially accused the politician of raping his wife.
The police, however, later charged Adi with adultery. After a lengthy investigation, Adi and Sukasih were named suspects in June last year.
Adi has faced possible dismissal from the legislative council. However, the council’s ethics board had not announced a decision as of Monday. (bbs)
- Why a few drops of water make whisky taste better
- Police question Rizieq in Saudi Arabia: Tito
- Tatjana's photo with Korean heartthrob Gong Yoo makes netizens jealous
- Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon shared message over airport incident
- Trump will resign, his ghostwriter predicts
- Government to spend Rp 404t on infrastructure projects in 2018
- South Sulawesi mayor-elect faces police questioning in Jakarta
- Singapore gets a taste of commuting chaos as trains fail
- Sri Mulyani claims tax revenue target realistic
- Status: Online, but not present