KPK names Malang council speaker graft as a suspect
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) politician M Arief Wicaksono has resigned from his position as Malang City Legislative Council speaker after he was named as a suspect by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).
“I have been questioned by the KPK as a witness three times. I made this decision [to resign] without any pressure from anyone. This is part of my responsibility to the public,” he said during a press conference at the party's Malang chapter office on Thursday.
Arief’s position as the chairman of PDI-P Malang, however, would be retained, pending a formal decision by the party’s national executive board, said Sri Untari, the chairwoman of the party’s East Java provincial chapter.
Read also: KPK probes alleged graft in Malang
Meanwhile, KPK investigators continue to look for evidence.
As of Thursday afternoon, the KPK had yet to release details of the case.
Some 10 investigators were seen at the council’s building in Malang, East Java, on Thursday.
They searched several offices at the building, including the office of the council’s secretary Bambang Suharijadi.
“[The KPK investigators] came at 10 a.m. without further explanation. I was just told they would come,” Bambang said.
Previously, the KPK also searched offices in several buildings, such as the Malang City Hall, the Malang Public Works and Spatial Planning Agency, the Investment and Licensing Service Agency, as well as Arief’s official residence. (bbs)
- Why a few drops of water make whisky taste better
- Police question Rizieq in Saudi Arabia: Tito
- Tatjana's photo with Korean heartthrob Gong Yoo makes netizens jealous
- Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon shared message over airport incident
- Trump will resign, his ghostwriter predicts
- Singapore gets a taste of commuting chaos as trains fail
- South Sulawesi mayor-elect faces police questioning in Jakarta
- Government to spend Rp 404t on infrastructure projects in 2018
- EDITORIAL: Boring, yet realistic budget
- Status: Online, but not present