Jokowi, S'pore deputy PM discuss investment, business cooperation
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo welcomed Singaporean Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean who is paying an honorary visit to Jakarta on Friday.
Foreign Deputy Minister Abdurrahman Mohammad Fachir said that during their meeting at the Presidential Palace, Jokowi and Teo Chee Hean discussed the follow up to the Indonesia-Singapore Annual Leader’s Meeting in Kendal, Central Java, in November last year. They also talked about investment and cooperation potential between the two countries.
Teo Chee Hean reported to Jokowi that currently 30 Singaporean companies operated in Semarang, employing a total of 1,700 workers. Meanwhile, the operation of 41 other companies was still being processed.
“The government is set to establish institutions like polytechnics to prepare the workforce there, especially because the 41 companies will need around 4,000 workers once they operate,” Fachir told journalists following the meeting.
He added that Indonesia and Singapore had agreed to cooperate for infrastructure development, especially in industrial zones.
“The deputy prime minister mentioned that Batam, Bintan and Karimun of the Riau Islands would be the investment target of the country,” Fachir said.
In the meeting, the two leaders also talked about business cooperation plans in the digital economy and investment, which would be further discussed during the Annual Leader’s Meeting in September, he added.
The Singaporean deputy minister’s honorary visit was made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Indonesia and Singapore and to attend a celebration of Singapore’s 52nd Independence Day in Jakarta on Thursday evening. (ecn/ebf)
- Anies wants FPI to improve its image
- Tourist boat capsizes in Thousand Islands
- Sports ministers of Indonesia, Malaysia settle flag incident
- RI awaits official KL apology on SEA Games 'flag incident’: Sports minister
- Ministry to prioritize infrastructure in four sectors in 2018
- Korean national named suspect in fatal car crash
- Apple under pressure to dazzle as market slows
- Indonesian Achievements Festival to recognize 72 'Icons'
- Bekasi bird shop owner suspected of avian flu infection
- Lake Toba to host Lake Toba Charm Carnival 2017