Tanjung Panjang nature reserve on brink of destruction
Syamsul Huda M. Suhari
The Jakarta Post
The influx of newcomers to Pohuwato regency, Gorontalo, has led to the conversion of swathes of land, which threaten a renowned nature reserve in the area.
Located in Randangan district, Pohuwato, the Tanjung Panjang Nature Reserve has suffered biodiversity loss and ecosystem damage as thousands of hectares of its mangrove forests have been converted into fish and shrimp ponds.
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?