City to continue MRT development on disputed land
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration is set to continue construction of the mass-rapid transit (MRT) system on disputed land near Jl. Panglima Polim in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta.
The head of the legal department of the municipality of South Jakarta, Tb Purba, said there were three residents who had claimed ownership rights over some 120 square meters of land and demanded that the administration compensate them.
However, Purba said the land had been in use for a public road since the 1990s.
Therefore, the administration will soon take control of the land to “speed up the MRT development process, without giving compensation [to the residents],” he said on Wednesday.
“We need to accelerate the MRT development,” Purba stressed, as quoted by kompas.com.
He also said the administration had issued warning letters to residents not to occupy the land.
On Thursday, 117 police and military personnel were dispatched to curb building activity deemed illegal. (cal)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- Cutting out rice not enough: More lifestyle changes needed to prevent diabetes
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements