AGO wants same authority as KPK
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
The Attorney General's Office (AGO) has told the House of Representatives that it needs the authority to wiretap suspects without a court warrant, similar to the authority of the Commission Eradication Commission (KPK).
During a hearing with House Commission III overseeing human rights, security and legal affairs on Monday, Attorney General M. Prasetyo said the KPK had higher enforcement authority than the AGO and the National Police.
"KPK's red-handed arrests are always a result of surveillance via interception. [The KPK] really relies on operations that lead to red-handed arrests," Prasetyo told lawmakers.
"[The AGO] should have similar authority. We have a nationwide network and more experience [than the KPK]," he added.
Read also: I won't let 'anyone' weaken KPK: Jokowi
Prasetyo also said the KPK should focus on supervision and coordination rather than enforcement.
"In the future, the House should rethink the authority of [the KPK, police and AGO] so we don’t compete with each other," Prasetyo said, adding that the KPK could be deemed successful if it helped restore public trust in the AGO and the police.
Numerous lawmakers have proposed amendments to the KPK Law, which anticorruption activists believe is part of systematic attempt to undermine the antigraft body.
Commission III members, for example, have suggested that KPK's prosecution power should be scrapped. Some legislators recently called on President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to suspend KPK operations. (foy/bbs)
- Farmers use organic farming to reduce dependence on imported pesticides, fertilizers
- Indonesia to regulate domestic coal price to curb electricity costs
- Agnez Mo’s ‘Vogue US’ magazine is out
- Porsche Centre Jakarta: The best place to take care of your luxury cars
- Government halts all elevated projects
- Organic farmers use natural seedling 'pots for higher yields
- Jakarta to receive two MRT trains in March
- Indonesia to hand over 2m ha of forest land to locals: Minister
- Could the Swedish trend of ‘plogging’ help you get fit in 2018?
- Depok on alert after latest diphtheria casualty