Photo of Turnbull with baby and beer stirs controversy in Australia
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has stirred a controversy over the weekend after posting a picture of him holding his infant grandchild Alice and a beer while watching a football match.
Turnbull posted the image on his Facebook page alongside the caption: "Multitasking at the footy."
The photo was swiftly met with criticism from netizens who frowned upon the presence of the beer.
Many of the Facebook users branded the prime minister as being "irresponsible."
One Facebook user commented: “Does anyone see anything irresponsible with an adult hold(ing) a baby and juggling a beer? And when was drinking while holding a child OK?”
Other said in the comment section: “I find it disgusting to see people breathing grog all over baby’s but sadly I’m not surprised by Malcolm doing it.”
Many, however, have come to Turnbull's defense.
Opposition lawmaker Pauline Hanson, who is also a fierce critic of the Prime Minister, said that "whingers" who attacked Turnbull over the photo should "get a life".
"These people are whingeing over nothing," Hanson told Channel Seven's Sunrise programme on Monday.
Turnbull himself has dismissed the criticism, saying that those who lashed out against him were "crazy" internet trolls.
"You’ve just got to be yourself...you end up being as crazy as the trolls on Twitter if you do anything else," he said.
- Residents near Mt. Agung begin to relocate their livestock
- Uber tops 500,000 signatures on petition to halt London ban
- G30S/PKI film is the correct version of history: Tommy Soeharto
- Keep calm and enjoy Bali: Tourism association
- Thousands flee rumbling Mount Agung
- Owner of Islamic matchmaking site arrested, charged under Pornography Law
- Wiranto calms fear over weapon shipment rumor
- ‘Unicorn Gundam’ illuminated, dazzles in official unveiling
- New Zealand's English claims mandate to form government
- Singapore IS fighter challenges Prince Harry in video