Jokowi to summon Tito over Novel case
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo will summon National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian to ask him about progress in a police investigation into an acid attack on Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan.
“We must be updated on the stage of the investigation. Everything must be clear and solved,” Jokowi said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.
Jokowi, however, did not respond to questions on whether he would form an independent fact-finding team to assist with the investigation.
Almost six months has passed since two unidentified man splashed acid on Novel’s face in the early morning of April 11, causing severe injuries to his face and eyes. Since then, a team of doctors has been providing Novel with intensive treatment in Singapore.
The National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) chief, Comr. Gen. Ari Dono Sukmanto, said Novel’s case was difficult to solve because of the “hit-and-run” method. Such cases, he said, may take years to solve. (kuk/ahw)
- Father-son duo arrested over alleged drug dealing
- Wu's fans skip Chinese New Year for NBA All Star celebrity game
- China vows to protect interests as US eyes trade sanctions
- Indonesia mulls ban on maids to Malaysia
- Adelina’s family demands compensation
- Italy's country doctor making house calls on horseback
- East Java targets to vaccinate 10m following diphtheria outbreak
- Vatican revives pope's sexual abuse panel
- Pakistan child killer handed four death sentences
- Four new parties to take part in 2019 elections