AGO detains non-active BKKBN chairman
Gemma Holliani Cahya
The Jakarta Post
The Attorney General’s Office (AGO) on Wednesday detained non-active National Population and Family Planning Board (BKKBN) chairman Surya Chandra Surapaty for alleged graft in a contraceptive procurement deal.
Junior attorney for special crimes (Jampidsus) Warih Sadono said Surya was accused of corruption in the procurement of implants in 2014 and 2015 worth more than Rp 490 billion (US$36.25 million), causing state losses of more than Rp 110 billion.
“From these two procurement projects, we have named four people as suspects. Two are from private companies while the other two are government officials,” he told journalists.
Warih said the AGO began to investigate Surya after the issuance of a sprindik (letter ordering the start of an investigation) in September. Surya had been questioned twice before he was arrested today.
“His role in the graft case was [as a BKKBN chairman] when he allegedly intervened in the procurement process. For more details, let’s see what will be revealed in the trial process.”
Commenting on Surya’s lawyers’ claim that their client is innocent, Warih said the AGO had evidence of his alleged involvement in the case.
“We will reveal it all at the hearing. What we can assure you of, we named him as a suspect [in September] based on evidence.”
Warih added that the AGO had confiscated Surya’s assets worth about Rp 5 billion. “We are tracing more assets.”
Surya is currently detained at the AGO detention facility at the Salemba Penitentiary complex in Central Jakarta. (ebf)
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- No ticketing on first day of Sudirman-Thamrin odd-even trial run
- Kremlin, on possible missile delivery to Syria, says Western strike soured atmosphere