Two injured in work accident at Penjaringan seawall
The Jakarta Post
Two workers were reportedly injured while working on a broken seawall in Luar Batang, Penjaringan, North Jakarta on Tuesday.
Basyid and Dedi were among four workers from the Jakarta Water Resources Agency who tried to lift a compressor that was being used to siphon out sea water, which had flooded the residential area after the embankment collapsed .
On Monday, one of the two seawalls in Luar Batang collapsed at around 10 a.m, severely damaging the home of Syarifudin, a resident who lives next to the seawall.
The waters also inundated dozens of houses belonging to other residents.
"A retaining board between two seawalls broke as we stepped on in to lift the compressor. The board was old and had lost its strength to withstand the weight," Basyid said on Tuesday as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
Basyid suffered wounds to his right hand and has received medical aid, while Dedi was rushed to a public health center (Puskesmas) to treat a serious injury to his temple.
The two other workers present were reportedly unharmed by the accident. (yon)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food