Two injured in work accident at Penjaringan seawall
The Jakarta Post
Two workers were reportedly injured while working on a broken seawall in Luar Batang, Penjaringan, North Jakarta on Tuesday.
Basyid and Dedi were among four workers from the Jakarta Water Resources Agency who tried to lift a compressor that was being used to siphon out sea water, which had flooded the residential area after the embankment collapsed .
On Monday, one of the two seawalls in Luar Batang collapsed at around 10 a.m, severely damaging the home of Syarifudin, a resident who lives next to the seawall.
The waters also inundated dozens of houses belonging to other residents.
"A retaining board between two seawalls broke as we stepped on in to lift the compressor. The board was old and had lost its strength to withstand the weight," Basyid said on Tuesday as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
Basyid suffered wounds to his right hand and has received medical aid, while Dedi was rushed to a public health center (Puskesmas) to treat a serious injury to his temple.
The two other workers present were reportedly unharmed by the accident. (yon)
- Hopeful travelers line up overnight for flight promotions
- Bogor reduces more than 5 tons of waste a day
- Google Assistant adds more languages in global push
- Construction of Central Jakarta Police headquarters to begin in April
- Apple plans upgrades to popular AirPods headphones
- Pertamina renewable investment portion to reach 15 percent by 2030
- Death toll in Syria enclave tops 500 after UN delays truce vote
- Wes Anderson, Norway teen massacre films lead Berlin fest race
- ‘Black Panther’ succeeds in bringing Wakanda to world
- EU opens door for Balkan states, but hurdles remain