Thousand Islands residents reclaim land using waste
The Jakarta Post
Residents of Thousand Islands regency have reclaimed land using waste and sand and built homes on it, an official said on Thursday.
Reclamation attempts on several islands has been going on for years and had been the subject of research, he said.
"Reclamation can be clearly seen on Panggang Island," Thousand Islands Regent Irmansyah said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
Irmansyah said such reclamation attempts were dangerous and needed to be stopped.
The regency has formed a team to gather data on unofficially reclaimed land before acting to curb it, he said. (cal)
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- What’s in store for final installment of BTS ‘Love Yourself’ saga
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Coal production at 37.11 percent of full-year target
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Remote China glacial lake bursts, no casualties
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia considers reducing imports of 500 consumer goods