Thousand Islands residents reclaim land using waste
The Jakarta Post
Residents of Thousand Islands regency have reclaimed land using waste and sand and built homes on it, an official said on Thursday.
Reclamation attempts on several islands has been going on for years and had been the subject of research, he said.
"Reclamation can be clearly seen on Panggang Island," Thousand Islands Regent Irmansyah said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
Irmansyah said such reclamation attempts were dangerous and needed to be stopped.
The regency has formed a team to gather data on unofficially reclaimed land before acting to curb it, he said. (cal)
- Indonesia's digital policy lacking focus
- Number of rejected Schengen visa applications for Indonesia increases
- Human rights at risk for ASEAN citizens
- Electric cars made by Indonesian students featured at Jakarta motor show
- Philippines closes Boracay to tourists under high security
- Headscarved students banned from performing 'gambyong' dance
- Anger as Fiji tourism ad swaps 'church' for 'toilet'
- New York Times' Weinstein investigation to be developed as film
- Nod for 'Jack Ryan' season 2
- Coal miner Indika to set aside 42% of profit as dividends