Thousand Islands residents reclaim land using waste
The Jakarta Post
Residents of Thousand Islands regency have reclaimed land using waste and sand and built homes on it, an official said on Thursday.
Reclamation attempts on several islands has been going on for years and had been the subject of research, he said.
"Reclamation can be clearly seen on Panggang Island," Thousand Islands Regent Irmansyah said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
Irmansyah said such reclamation attempts were dangerous and needed to be stopped.
The regency has formed a team to gather data on unofficially reclaimed land before acting to curb it, he said. (cal)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Next US House foreign affairs chief vows to check Trump, warns Russia
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC