Student dies after fainting during National Heroes Day ceremony
Ganug Nugroho Adi
The Jakarta Post
A student died after falling unconscious while participating in a flag-hoisting ceremony to commemorate National Heroes Day in Wonogiri, Central Java, on Friday.
Hilda Firdaus, 15, an eighth-grade student at Muhammadiyah Pracimantoro junior high school, initially received CPR from health officials en route to a clinic.
She passed away just minutes after arriving at the clinic, said the school's principal, Kusaini.
"Before the ceremony, she complained of a headache," said Kusaini.
"Some of her friends chose to get out of the ceremony's line to take a break. But Hilda insisted on taking part in the ceremony," he added.
It is common in Indonesia to hold a flag-hoisting ceremony to commemorate national days, including National Heroes Day, which falls on Nov. 10 to remember the battle between Indonesia and Allied Force in Surabaya in 1945.
Meanwhile, around 20 participants in the ceremony held at Wonogiri city center also fell unconscious, including Aji Setyawan, a member of the flag-hoisting team.
"Most of them skipped breakfast before the ceremony," said Warjo, head of the Indonesian Red Cross (PMI) branch in Wonogiri. (mos/ahw)
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'