Workers reject Sandiaga's free Transjakarta ride compensation policy
The Jakarta Post
Workers demanding wage increases in front of City Hall in Central Jakarta on Friday rejected Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno's proposal to compensate with free Transjakarta bus rides.
They said such a policy would be useless to many workers because most of them lived far from the city center and did not need the bus service for their daily commutes.
"The proposal is good, but we can't agree because not all workers in Jakarta use the Transjakarta service," said Muhamad Rusdi, deputy chairman of the Confederation of Indonesian Workers Union (KSPI).
The city's 2018 provincial minimum wage was set at Rp3.6 million (US$266) last week, lower than the workers demand of Rp 3.9 million.
The workers also rejected the administration's proposal to compensate for their demands with housing for workers.
"The question is, when will they build [the houses] and how many will be constructed this year? Meanwhile the cost of living in Jakarta is rising. Their political pledges should be honored, otherwise they are traitors to the workers of Jakarta," Rusdi said as quoted by kompas.com.
Earlier, KSPI chairman Said Iqbal added that Anies and Sandiaga could not take credit for the promise of providing compensation such as free bus rides and discounts at city-owned market operator PD Pasar Jaya. He said the policy was enacted under Governor Regulation No. 160/2016, issued during the administration of Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama. (fac)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens