Workers reject Sandiaga's free Transjakarta ride compensation policy
The Jakarta Post
Workers demanding wage increases in front of City Hall in Central Jakarta on Friday rejected Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno's proposal to compensate with free Transjakarta bus rides.
They said such a policy would be useless to many workers because most of them lived far from the city center and did not need the bus service for their daily commutes.
"The proposal is good, but we can't agree because not all workers in Jakarta use the Transjakarta service," said Muhamad Rusdi, deputy chairman of the Confederation of Indonesian Workers Union (KSPI).
The city's 2018 provincial minimum wage was set at Rp3.6 million (US$266) last week, lower than the workers demand of Rp 3.9 million.
The workers also rejected the administration's proposal to compensate for their demands with housing for workers.
"The question is, when will they build [the houses] and how many will be constructed this year? Meanwhile the cost of living in Jakarta is rising. Their political pledges should be honored, otherwise they are traitors to the workers of Jakarta," Rusdi said as quoted by kompas.com.
Earlier, KSPI chairman Said Iqbal added that Anies and Sandiaga could not take credit for the promise of providing compensation such as free bus rides and discounts at city-owned market operator PD Pasar Jaya. He said the policy was enacted under Governor Regulation No. 160/2016, issued during the administration of Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama. (fac)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Instant Noodle Longform
- Record $27.5 mn settlement in NY Catholic child sex abuse case