West Jakarta nightclub must be shut down: Anies
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has stated that the Diamond Discotheque in West Jakarta must be shut down following the finding that drug transactions took place at the nightclub.
"Yesterday afternoon, the head of the Jakarta Public Order Agency [Satpol PP] visited [us] to ask about follow-up actions to the drug bust [at the nightclub]. We will use bylaw No. 6/2015 [on tourism]," he said at City Hall on Tuesday as quoted by kompas.com.
Anies said the nightclub could not continue operating and that the system of law enforcement must firmly prevent the transaction of drugs at nightclubs.
"We want to be serious in eradicating drugs. Once the place was found with drugs, it can no longer operate," he said, urging all parties to work together to fight against the distribution of drugs.
Anies said there were 500,000 known drug users in the city, while the number of underage people acting as drug couriers increased by 300 percent, citing data from the Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI).
The Diamond Discotheque has been closed since last month, when the police arrested Indra Jaya Piliang, the head of the Golkar Party's research and development division, and his two friends for allegedly holding a party involving drugs at the venue.
The Jakarta administration did not immediately close down the venue then as it was waiting for results from a police investigation. Recently, the police revealed that drug transactions took place at the club. (yon)
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Setya Novanto pays $50,000 in restitution installment to KPK
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Indonesian tourism set to beat Thailand in 5 years
- Suspected HTI flag burning sparks controversy among Muslims
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Australia hits five Myanmar generals with sanctions
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world