Independent candidate pair Ichsan-Andi ready to contest in South Sulawesi election
The Jakarta Post
The South Sulawesi General Elections Commission (KPU) has received only the registration request of Ichsan Yasin Limpo and Andi Mudzakkar, who will run as an independent candidate pair in the province’s gubernatorial election next year.
KPU South Sulawesi head Iqbal Latief said two potential candidates had taken application user IDs to register their nomination as independent candidates. On the deadline at midnight on Sunday, only one of them had registered their candidacy.
Iqbal said the campaign team of Andi Analta Amier went to get his application user ID, but it never showed up again to formalize his candidacy.
Ichsan-Mudzakkir’s campaign team previously claimed it had secured support from 1.5 million people. The team ended up submitting only 700,000 support forms to the KPU in South Sulawesi, said Arar, the commission’s spokesperson.
He said the minimum threshold of support for the provincial election was 480,124 people.
Ichsan-Mudzakkir’s team previously claimed it had secured support from the Democratic Party and United Development Party (PPP).
“We chose to run as an independent candidate pair in anticipation of the uncertain political climate and to make it easier for us to do what is right for the people,” said Ichsan, who served Gowa regency for two terms.
Pair Nurdin Halid and Abdul Aziz Qahhar Mudzakkar and pair Nurdin Abdullah and Andi Sudirman Sulaiman have also declared they will run in the election.
Nurdin-Aziz are backed by the Golkar Party and the NasDem Party while Nurdin-Sudirman are supported by the Gerindra Party, the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS). (cks/ebf)
- BTS presents tearful, beautiful finale of ‘Wings’ tour in Seoul
- Foreign prisoner escapes from Kerobokan prison
- Online shops not causing closure of retail outlets: BPS
- Heavy rainfall in Jakarta topples trees, disrupts traffic
- Floods, toppled trees disrupt Transjakarta services
- Heavy rainfall unanticipated, says BPBD
- Qatar interested in investing in Mandalika tourism zone: Luhut
- Jakarta administration criticized for not uploading meeting videos
- ‘Wonder’, a wonderfully heartwarming film for all
- Chengdu tops list as China's happiest city