Over 50 million PCC pills found in Surakarta drug factory
Ganug Nugroho Adi and Suherdjoko
The Jakarta Post
Over 50 million pills containing a combination of paracetamol, caffeine and carisoprodol (PCC) were found by the National Narcotics Agency (BNN) during a raid on a suspected drug factory in Surakarta, Central Java, on Monday.
"We suspected that this was the main source [of the drug operation]," BNN chief Comr. Gen. Budi Waseso said. "All the branches were controlled from here, including Semarang and Sukoharjo."
The Surakarta factory produced up to 50,000 pills a day, he added, and earned up to Rp 2.7 billion (US$200,000) in revenue.
Budi said that, through a special task force formed by the agency to investigate the PCC case, several other factories in Central Java were identified.
"We will uncover the whole network: the financiers, the leaders and the people who were behind them," he said.
Meanwhile, the agency confiscated Monday 13 million pills from a factory in Semarang, Central Java, suspected to have sent supplies used for the pills to Kalimantan and Sulawesi.
Two suspects in the case were named, namely Jhoni, a 38-year-old Semarang resident, and Ronggo, a 52-year-old from Tasikmalaya.
A day earlier, the BNN raided a house that was allegedly used for PCC manufacturing in Surakarta and two houses in nearby Sukoharjo. Seven people were detained, including the owner of the Surakarta house.
Sixty-six teenagers were hospitalized after ingesting PCC pills in Kendari, Southwest Sulawesi, in September. The pills reportedly caused them to act differently before they fell unconscious. (kmt/rin)
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Asian Games: Flags rise again for swimming medalists after Sun's demand
- Model claiming Trump secrets pleads not guilty in Thailand case
- Trump lashes out at Russia probe as 'McCarthyism'
- Four Japan athletes booted from Asian Games in prostitute scandal
- Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failur...