KPK completes Setya's e-ID case file
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has confirmed that its investigators have completed the case file on graft suspect, House of Representatives Speaker and Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto in the high-profile electronic identity card (e-ID) case.
“We have completed the investigation into SN,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said on Tuesday evening, referring to Setya by his initials.
He added that investigators were currently preparing to hand over the suspect and evidence to prosecutors for completing the indictment of the embattled politician and submit the case to the Corruption Court.
According to the 2002 KPK Law, prosecutors have a maximum 14 days to examine the case file and determine if it is ready to be submitted to the court; otherwise, they are to return the case file to investigators for completion.
Pressure has been mounting for the antigraft body to submit the case against Setya to the Corruption Court – a move that would void Setya’s pretrial motion challenging the KPK’s renaming him as a suspect in the case, which has incurred Rp 2.3 trillion (US$170 million) in state losses.
Read also: Setya may resign as House speaker
Setya won his first pretrial motion in late September against the KPK's decision to name him a suspect. The KPK renamed Setya as a suspect in the case on Nov. 10.
Last Thursday, the sole judge at the South Jakarta District Court adjourned the first hearing of the pretrial motion until Dec. 7 because of the absence of KPK representatives at the hearing. (dmr)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official