Three provinces to administer diphtheria vaccinations on Dec. 11
The Jakarta Post
The Health Ministry is preparing a diphtheria vaccination program, which will be held simultaneously in three provinces – Banten, Jakarta and West Java – on Dec. 11. The three provinces were chosen because they are where diphtheria infections are most concentrated.
Meanwhile, East Java has initiated the organizing of a diphtheria immunization program without waiting for assistance from the ministry.
“The vaccination will be carried out in five areas of West Java, namely Depok city, Bekasi city, Bekasi regency, Karawang and Purwakarta; two areas in Jakarta, namely North Jakarta and West Jakarta; and five areas in Banten, namely Serang regency, Serang city, South Tangerang, Tangerang city and Tangerang regency,” said Muhammad Subuh, the Health Ministry’s disease prevention and control director general, as reported by Antara in Jakarta on Wednesday.
(Read also: Diphtheria claims four lives in Tangerang)
The plan is part of the ministry’s Outbreak Response Immunization (ORI) program as 20 provinces have declared a health emergency (KLB) of diphtheria. At least 95 regencies and municipalities across the provinces have detected diphtheria infections in recent months.
The ORI program would be implemented in three phases. First, an initial vaccination program, which falls on Dec. 11; second, a follow-up vaccination scheduled on Jan. 11; and the last vaccination, which would be held in the following six or eight months.
The Health Ministry will provide all vaccines and vaccination equipment needed for the program, while local administrations should cover operational expenses of the program. (vla/ebf)
- Sri Mulyani criticizes poor budget planning by government institutions
- Clooneys donate $500,000 to student gun reform march
- Indonesia prepares four fiscal incentives to boost investment
- Q&A: What you need to know about Ahok's case review petition
- Qatar Airways receives world’s first Airbus A350-1000
- Seven lesser-known dive areas in Indonesia
- Minister to evaluate Waskita’s board of directors over accident
- Jokowi redeems Metallica double-LP set from KPK
- Dementia clearly linked to chronic boozing: Study
- Dua Lipa to grace Asian stages in May